Respected Contributor

Re: It's flu shot time again

We usually wait (per physician rec) until the later part of October.  However, two weeks ago my Ex-SIL posted on Facebook that she tested positive for the flu.  She works from home, due to that she has reduced contact with people.

When I told this to our physician at our visit last week he recommended we get the vaccine that day which we did in his office.

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom  Contact your PCP's office (his RN) and ask which is the best flu vaccine for you and your husband. Perhaps it depends upon various health issues. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@puttypiesmom  Contact your PCP's office (his RN) and ask which is the best flu vaccine for you and your husband. Perhaps it depends upon various health issues. 

Good idea, thanks.

@BirkiLady

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

My mother and I went to CVS and got our flu shots (she gets the one for older people). I got the Shingles vaccine (part 1) ant the end of June. You have to get part 2 of the vaccine between 2-6 months. Well CVS has it on backorder for some time (there seems to be a shortage), I hope I'll get it before my 6 months are over.

@Jordan2  Make sure CVS has you on their list of people to call when they get the vaccine in.  I did that with Kroger for my second shot, and they called me.

I'm getting my flu vaccine tomorrow when I go to the grocery store.  I had planned on getting it last week, but when I got there I realized my shirt sleeve wasn't easy to pull up so I had to wait.

@NickNack, I have been calling once a week to see if they have gotten it in. I never thought to ask if I can get on a list, and  CVS hasn't suggested it to me.

Honored Contributor

I went to Walgreens to get my flu shot. I'm 63 and the pharmacist told me it was standard procedure to give someone of my age the quadrivalent vaccine. I assume you would have to ask to get the trivalent instead.

Here's some info from the CDC about FAQ regarding the flu this season:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2018-2019.htm

Honored Contributor

Yikes! We got our shingles vaccine a year ago and no one said a thing about it being part A of a two part vaccine. I need to call my dr and find out if the first one is any good now. I don't want to have to get it again!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a grocery store pharmacy that now has a private waiting room and then they call you in individually to a smaller room with a chair and even a cot. It is very private and great for someone who may need to lay down after getting the injection....different people respond differently.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Yikes! We got our shingles vaccine a year ago and no one said a thing about it being part A of a two part vaccine. I need to call my dr and find out if the first one is any good now. I don't want to have to get it again!

@lovesrecess, is it possible that you were given the older vaccine, which was just one shot? I can't believe a doctor would not make sure that you were aware of a needed second shot.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am getting my flu shot next week at Costco.  I got my shingles shots there also.  If you got the first shot there they saved a "second" shot for you.  Costco is great!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

The older version of the Zostavax vaccine is only a single dose. Check and see if you had that one. The newer vaccine Shingrix has two doses and you can still get them even after you already had the older version. The new one is more effective and is a once-in-a-lifetime 2-part vaccination. @lovesrecess