Esteemed Contributor

Re: Isn't it surprising the amount of "views" on posts?!

@Shawnie wrote:

I don’t even understand how they track viewing a post.  It’s not like you hit something  to indicate you are viewing a post.  If you do a scroll drive by do they count that as a view?  I don’t get it.  

@Shawnie

sigh......................... I don't get it either........I the (very) old days we (pet lovers) would stay on here all night and have a wonderful time.  We made many,many close friends back then. Everything is soooooooo different now........................

Honored Contributor

If I post something and my post gets, let's say 500 views, without anyone responding to it then that makes me a bit sad and it sort of makes me feel insignificant in some respect.

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I don’t even understand how they track viewing a post.  It’s not like you hit something  to indicate you are viewing a post.  If you do a scroll drive by do they count that as a view?  I don’t get it.  

I think every time someone opens the thread the "views" number goes up.  On this thread post #1 has 760+ views and the last one has 13.  So 13 people opened the thread since the last post was submitted.

Frequent Contributor

I happened upon this board in July by accident after looking up a PC support company that QVC was now using.  I did share my experience with the other posters on that thread because I thought what I had to say was helpful. 

I am not much of a shopper any more now that I am no longer working so I felt a bit guilty reviewing the boards but have gotten over that.  I will contribute if I feel I have something worth sharing  or heart another's post but a lot of times I do not sign in and just read the board.  Your comment about feeling slighted if people do not respond put things in a different perspective for me. So from a more shy viewer,  that certainly is not my intention--Karen 

Honored Contributor

A lot of times you open a thread (therefore registering a 'viewed') and either find that you are not interested in the subject - usually because a person has begun a thread with a ridiculous 'is it just me...' or some kind of incomplete title - or 19 people have already answered the question and you don't feel the need to give the same answer another time because it's not necessary.  I don't need to keep answering an already answered question to make me look like I know stuff.  Smiley Happy

Plus, I don't think each 'view' is a separate person, necessarily.   If one is participating in a given thread they come back more times to further respond.

IMO, aside from the crazy fonts/colors/sizes/bolding/etc, the most annoying things in a thread here are when people move their cursor into the quote portion of the field so you don't know where the last person left off and where the quoter began.    I'll never get why some folks do that. 

Also, people who don't realize that a thread is a conversation.   They simply open the thread, maybe read the OP or maybe just the thread title, and then say the stuff that's already been said a dozen times in the thread.  It's like it doesn't matter to them what anybody else has to say.  It's just all about what they have to say.    That's the kind of conversation that's not much fun.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@on the bay

No proof here, but it is my opinion that other companies/websites have programs that comb through the internet constantly for information about their products in particular or products of the type they sell...such as "kitchen products."

@LTT1-

That would explain a lot of these! It makes sense-never thought of that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Not really.....I've never even noticed that count before.  Now, that I know about it, I won't pay any attention to it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Also, people who don't realize that a thread is a conversation.   They simply open the thread, maybe read the OP or maybe just the thread title, and then say the stuff that's already been said a dozen times in the thread.  It's like it doesn't matter to them what anybody else has to say.  It's just all about what they have to say.    That's the kind of conversation that's not much fun.

I've noticed that too. 

My #1 pet peeve here is when people reply to a post for no apparent reason.  For example, if the OP posts, "Who Else Has Seen the New A Star is Born?  I Loved It!", they reply, "I haven't seen it.  You couldn't pay me to step into a movie theater these days." or "Lady Gaga has no talent.  Wouldn't waste my time".  Clearly, the OP wants to talk about a movie with others who have seen it or at least are interested.  Comments such as those add nothing, and come across as unnecessarily judgmental.

Another example would be, "John Smith's New Book" as the topic, and people reply with a terse, "Never heard of him".  Why bother replying then?  Disagreeing with someone is fine, but if the subject isn't of interest, scroll on by!  

Topics started here are not polls  - They're supposed to be the beginning of  conversations. :-)

(These are not real examples, btw.  I just made them up, although I realize there could be threads here with the same or similar titles.)

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's pretty common across social media that there are more "views" on posts, tweets, etc.  Most people read far more than they post.  And lots of people (not just here, but everywhere) don't post at all. 

Respected Contributor

Yep... by the time I get here, and I try to read each post in a thread of interest; hearting those posts I like or agree with as I go, someone (or more) has usually voiced my views already. I'll not bother to post then, just to say “I agree with so and so.”

But then I've viewed each post on the thread. Probably the same for many others here. Those views add up.

Also, if lurkers aren’t signed in, they can’t heart the posts or reply. There have always been many more who silently read rather than post to social media. 

Wish more would join in here ~ new voices would be most welcomed!! ❤️