Respected Contributor

Re: Is this odd?

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

My neighbor across the street from me does the same thing but during the day.  He's a widower, about 83, with nothing to do.  He goes outside to the front patio and stares at my side of the street.  Then he goes inside for a while, then comes out again.  I consider him my own private neighborhood watch.  He's been doing it for years.

I tick him off though when I go outside to mow the grass in shorts and a t-shirt with no bra.  He goes in the house and slams the door behind him.  lol  Maybe he thinks I should be wearing a prarie skirt and bonnet.

AND YOU DO THIS ,TO SHOCK HIM.

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

My neighbor across the street from me does the same thing but during the day.  He's a widower, about 83, with nothing to do.  He goes outside to the front patio and stares at my side of the street.  Then he goes inside for a while, then comes out again.  I consider him my own private neighborhood watch.  He's been doing it for years.

I tick him off though when I go outside to mow the grass in shorts and a t-shirt with no bra.  He goes in the house and slams the door behind him.  lol  Maybe he thinks I should be wearing a prarie skirt and bonnet.

AND YOU DO THIS ,TO SHOCK HIM.

@goldensrbest

I DO THIS BECAUSE IT'S 100 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND I'M SWEATING.

WOULD YOU SAY THIS IF I WERE A GUY WEARING SHORTS AND A T-SHIRT?

My shorts are down to my knees and my t-shirt is long.  Where is your mind?

Respected Contributor

What he is doing may be normal to him. I wouldn't turn a light on him, then he knows you are watching him. Everyone is different, maybe he enjoys the quiet of the morning. If you are concerned go ask him or introduce yourself.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

could he be smoking? or reading something? Some people wake up really early and just like to be outside maybe?

Our next door neighbor does it all the time. He sits outside to smoke. In fact this morning my husband said our neighbor was sitting out there about 4:30am. A common occurrence.

I guess because they have a little girl about 4 years old, no one is allowed to smoke in the house. My girlfriend also has to smoke outside. When they had the house built they decided that no one could smoke in the house.

Respected Contributor

Get a flood light to shine on him every morning, for what....sitting in his own yard doing nothing, harming no one?  Why would anyone do such a thing to a neighbor they don't even know?? What a totally foolish suggestion. And as another poster said, mean spirited.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want people bringing me  a cake  just so they could snoop. In the first place he might be diabetic or not eat that stuff. I would never eat anything a stranger made ,to begin with The decent thing to do is to introduce yourself, and leave them alone

Respected Contributor

Re: Is this odd?

[ Edited ]

In this story, it's your behavior that I find odd, not his. He's on his property minding his own business and you're spying on him. You are the one being creepy,

Honored Contributor

He probably has insomnia. Do they have children? Maybe the kids wake him up. There are many different scenarios and I doubt he is "watching" you.

If you are looking out the window at 4 in the morning, why not just put on some soft music or the television and try and think about anything but this guy.

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

My first thought is maybe he is meditating.  Other than that, it is kinda creepy. 

Mine too. I would not be concerned I get up at 3:30 a.m. even on the weekends and do not have to be at work until 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. I just love the quiet and peace inside and outside. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

After reading the original post, the most odd thing for me is that the guy isn't sitting on his porch or stoop.  Pre crack o'dawn might be his time of day when he meditates about life and plans his day in his head. 

If the guy stayed out there, on his walkway while OP's husband was leaving the house to start his day it would probably be less unnerving.  As it is, he seems to sit out there and then goes in, like clockwork right before OP's husband is leaving for the day.  We've all seen Dateline and 48 hours so our imaginations can go south wondering if someone is casing the house - I get it.

Maybe the guy goes into his house because he doesn't want OP's husband to think he's a nut.

I grew up in a major city with what I call front porch people.  Neighbors sat on the front porch all of the time and when I'd be going to work I'd wave.  People visited each other on the front porch.

When I moved to the burbs I didn't see a single soul out front other than to cut the grass - I clearly moved into a backyard community (wink).

If it was me and this was really getting on my nerves and I was up at that time of morning, I'd make a cup of coffee, toss on some comfy clothes, grab a sweater and sit on my stoop of the front porch.  I wouldn't stare at him or anything, I'd just sit there, sipping coffee to find out if the guy was onto to something - maybe that time of day is really relaxing outdoors.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

People would be amazed what goes on in some neighborhoods at night.  Nothing dangerous, just activity, it is a 24/7 world now. 

Of course you sure know a lot about their comings and goings, perhaps they should keep an eye on you.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.