Contributor

Re: Is QVC main channel no longer 24/7 live?

It's not working or will not work - terrible, lazy decision! You are losing customers!

Honored Contributor

HSN has been in a slump anyway.  Their viewership is down.  They lost venders that were popular.  I don't see HSN staying live anymore.  It will just be pretaped shows.  It might happen to Shop HQ too.

Gem shopping Newtwork still goes 24/7 live.  The costly jewelry they show, you need to be live.  

Honored Contributor

I still think that it would be a cost savings to customers in the long run.

It makes sense to me, anyway.

Savings on lighting, overnight people, producers, camera people, etc., etc.

I have a feeling that most people don't watch and order during a specific time during the night, anyway.

I wouldn't mind a couple of hours of recorded shows.

Well, that's the way I've always thought, right or wrong.

If prices reflect downward, I'd be happy.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY 

while i do agree it is a cost saving measure, i will say that there are a LOT of unhappy people on facebook!

it will be interesting to see if it lasts the whole month as they have said.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Just now thinking that if it's true that it's in a slump downward anyway, their only step would be to downsize and discontinue a few hours of live shows during the low sales hours in the middle of the night.

For whatever reason, it all makes sense to me. 

I guess that I'd do the same, if I ran the company.  

It's up to us, if we want higher prices, and perhaps a different company altogether, or no company at all.

I don't think we would be happy about drastic changes.

I, for one, would miss Community and all of the great posts here. 

Well, I guess we'll just wait and see.

I don't see anything good happening in the future, if it's indeed true that the industry is in a slump downward.

I think we need to do some thinking about it.  What makes sense, profit-wise, benefits us (customers) in the long run.

Oh, well, enough said by me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I still think that it would be a cost savings to customers in the long run.

It makes sense to me, anyway.

Savings on lighting, overnight people, producers, camera people, etc., etc.

I have a feeling that most people don't watch and order during a specific time during the night, anyway.

I wouldn't mind a couple of hours of recorded shows.

Well, that's the way I've always thought, right or wrong.

If prices reflect downward, I'd be happy.

It will be a cost savings for sure, but I 'm pretty sure that savings will not lower prices.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

They have too many hosts so there is no need for this! Many of the hosts are barely on air anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they need to stick to ONE TV channel....I dont know if its still the case, but QVC used to have pay the cable companies a percent of their sales as well in order to get their channel on the cable network.....so if their cost cutting that would be ...another way to do it....

I remember long ago one segment of Your Home With Jill was a recorded show and Jill was saying back then the 2nd channel and its recorded programming was an experiment and gives QVC the capabilities of doing more unique shows, (they featured one of her shows in an actual remolded mid-century home and showed the  products and how they'd actual look and perform in an actual residence with a realistic setting) and the promise was more of these unique settings and shows and expanding the product lines but it didnt turn out that way...Q2 just made what they already showed

ad-nauseam...more repetitive....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Thinking that shoppers will reap the benefits of cost cutting is a pretty naive assessment, in my view.

This is a company that is in serious trouble as revenue is not growing.  That's a sure sign of problems and until somenone comes up with a plan to deal with it, the immediate reaction is to cut costs.

If anything, shareholders will benefit if this prevents the company from a bankruptcy filing.

And perhaps higher dividends and share buybacks in the future

A public company's number one obligation is to its owners, the shareholders..

But the shopper?  I highly doubt it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Between the 3 channels, this represents 31 hours of live programming compared to 41 hours of repeats daily.  On weekends subtract 2 hours from Q2.

31 live.  41 repeat.  

Something's wrong when there is more repeat programming than live particularly around the holidays.  

Some of those products on the repeat channels are sold out.  Why would I want to watch a 10 minute presentation for a product that is no longer available or a product I have already seen 5 -10 times during live presentation?

When I look at the comparison between live and repeat programming, it doesn't look good.  All companies look for ways to cut costs, but this cost cutter, IMO, means sales are declining.

Some of us have seen this coming.  Quite a few of us pointed out the problems repeatedly, but I think we have been taken with a grain of salt...just chronic complainers.  

I'd like to see QVC succeed, perform very well, but this company must listen to its customers and stop making unwise business decisions.