Contributor

Re: Is QVC main channel no longer 24/7 live?

I agree - QVC - listen to your customers instead of making bad business decisions! 

Trusted Contributor

Just a side note.....I’m a transplant to Tampa Bay. HSN is headquartered in St Petersburg.  There is a large HSN outlet store in a shopping plaza near me, right next door to a Hobby Lobby and across street from Lowe’s, Home Depot and Kohl’s. This area gets plenty of shopping traffic; very very busy. In all the times I’ve shopped these stores I’ve never seen a single person enter the HSN store.  It’s always deserted. Wonder if people no longer want merchandise offered on shopping channels, even at sale prices. 

Respected Contributor

How is this going to work for the different time zones?   Two AM for me is 11:00 PM for the west coast, etc.  Will those folks see the "previously recorded" message? 

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

How is this going to work for the different time zones?   Two AM for me is 11:00 PM for the west coast, etc.  Will those folks see the "previously recorded" message? 

@this is my nic   I mentioned the exact same thing on one of the other threads on this subject.  Will viewers in other time zones be bombarded with the same mind-numbing shows for hours on end?

Side note:  Q offered a relative of mine a full time job after she rotated on an internship.  Glad she never even considered it.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

These are not prime time viewing times for anyone in any time zone. Do you people get up in the middle of the night to shop? Most people sleep then get up & go to work. Maybe some of you should try it. I remember when all TV stations went off the air overnight. They would play the Nation Anthem & sign off until morning.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

These are not prime time viewing times for anyone in any time zone. Do you people get up in the middle of the night to shop? Most people sleep then get up & go to work. Maybe some of you should try it. I remember when all TV stations went off the air overnight. They would play the Nation Anthem & sign off until morning.

@CLHS68  Some people work shift work. Some people are night owls. 2AM is East coast time not west coast. Not everyone lives the same life.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

@CLHS68,  please share with us just what the "prime time viewing times" are.   Are we supposed to turn off our televisions except during prime time viewing times?  Why doesn't it matter in which of the six (yes 6) U.S. time zones one lives?   In case you weren't aware when it is 2 a.m. Wednesday on the east coast it is 8 p.m. Tuesday in Hawaii.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trix wrote:

@Johnnyeager  QVC will save money by not operating 24-hours a day live.  It takes many people, plus the cost of having the studio open and running (the cameras, lights, and other electronics use the same power at night they use during the day).  The dollar amount saved over a 30-day period could be significant enough to verify that this is a good cost cutting measure.  With regard to hosts, the less live programming they have the fewer hosts they will need. Chopping 8 hours off main channel is two host shifts. 

I do feel for those backstage and non on-air employees (some of whom are hourly workers) who have jobs because Studio Park is open overnight who won't for the next four weeks. 

It's using a bandaid to try to stop a hemorrhage. 

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I always thought the hosts were paid a set salary and received commissions based on their sales.  If that's the case, not being on during the night would definitely affect the commissions of hosts who do the overnight programming.  There are lots of people whose schedules are not 8AM to 5PM, they are awake during the night, sleep during the day.  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@Johnnyeager 

I always thought the hosts were paid a set salary and received commissions based on their sales.  If that's the case, not being on during the night would definitely affect the commissions of hosts who do the overnight programming.  There are lots of people whose schedules are not 8AM to 5PM, they are awake during the night, sleep during the day.  

@this is my nic  I always thought each host had their own particular contract and it was negotiated with them all making different amounts. Just guessing.