Frequent Contributor

Re: Inherited china and crystal question

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@jazzed Some auction houses will take your items, but unless you have put in a minimum bid, you don't know what your items will sell for. And then, the auction house will take a percentage - usually 15 to 25 percent. If you put in a minimum bid and the items don't sell, you will be obligated to cover that amount. For your things, at least check the sold items on ebay to see what they are worth. Right now we have 150 year old ironstone (service for 12) sold during the Buchanan presidency that used to be worth thousands of dollars. Kids don't want it, and it's not selling for nearly as much as it used to sell for. Wish we had moved on it 30 years ago.

Wow, 150 yrs old!  And, yes, I could have done this 30 years ago too! 

Frequent Contributor

@Havarti  thank you for your warning on private sale. I am thinking that consignment or auction would cut into profit, but is much safer and reliable. It's a matter of finding a business willing. 

Esteemed Contributor

You might try listing them on Poshmark or Etsy. Because of their platform, people are willing to pay a fair price for the vintage "treasures" that can be found there. I shop those sites for that very reason. Just be patient if you have no time constraints. Either way, I hope you are successful.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

There is no market, my parents had a Noritake china for 16 and my brother and I have no idea what we are going to do with it

Right you are!  Even high end consignment shops will not take it.  I ended up taking a 12 piece complete set with those storage things to goodwill.  It was only about 50 years old, so not antique, but very pretty.  UGH, I hate even thinking about it.  I did use it for one Thanksgiving after my mom passed away 5 years ago.

Valued Contributor

I was told many years ago that something is only worth what people are willing to pay.  

The only thing of my mothers that gave me cash was jewelry. silver and gold. The stones were worth nothing.  Very limited wall art and her house.

Honored Contributor

@jazzed 

I know there are many of us who have inherited beautiful keepsakes BUT the sad reality is they most value on them is our memories -- priceless!

Honored Contributor

We have tons of antique dealers in this area and consignment shops.

I actually saw one of my grandmother's chocolate sets from Germany in one of the.  They wanted $250 for the set.

I told the woman if anyone was interested in that set, I had one that I would give them for free ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

There was a similar post about this some time ago and my suggestion was to contac local theater groups and see if you could donate your china and crystal to them and just write the value off on your taxes.  I'm sure that local theater groups must have some scenes of a high society dinner and the china and crystal would really set the scene. HTH

Honored Contributor

It is sad, but we live in a very materialistic society where everyone wants new and they want it now. I still think that someday many of the items you are talking about here will be back in vogue and worth a fortune. 

Respected Contributor

Echoing what everyone else has said. Most people today do not want fine china sets. They want something that can go in the dishwasher, something from Pottery Barn. People don't host fancy dinner parties for 12 any more.  I occasionally go to a Goodwill by my house. You would not believe the sets of fine china and silverplate serving pieces. There is no market for this. I have no desire to try and sell dishes and crystal that I have and my kids do not want any of it. So I am going to pack these things up and take them to the Humane Society Thrift shop. They can sell them for what ever they can get. This also goes for the Hummels that my mother in law gave me before she passed. Sad but times change.