Honored Contributor

Re: Inherited china and crystal question

[ Edited ]

Modern china, like from the probably 1960's and 70's forward (I'm not sure of date) like Lenox and Noritake CAN BE WASHED in the dishwasher but DON'T USE LEMON/CITRUS dish powder/soap.  The metallic rims should be fine IF YOU LET THE DISHES cool before opening the machine.

The problem I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY FACTORY REPS is that the rims soften and will dent if taken out and bumped while hot.

I don't know if every day would hurt them, but if you don't care anyway, why worry?

ALSO, what I have done is keep only salad plates and sugar, creamer and platter and use those for serving desserts.  You could even keep a few cups and/or mugs for a dessert set.  

That gets rid of a lot of bulk in the dinner plates.   

Esteemed Contributor

Generational thing. I own everything from my grandmother and mother... I should say anything they wanted to give me.  When I got married I had a list of things I wanted such as china, silverware, crystal. I have it all.  And I have four daughters who want nothing nothing and nothing.  I have no way to get rid of it.  And honestly  I never used it. I guess everyone was collecting and I was part of the crowd.  LOL.  In any case I need to find a new home. Not having much luck.  

Long time ago there was a Twilight Zone episode.  The bad guys robbed a bank or someting like that, got lots of money.  They had a plan. They would bury themselves in three time capsule  machines and would wait it out for a hundred years or so (I think that was the time lapse.)  Well one of the capsules was hit by rocks and it exploded and the person inside died instantly.  The two surviving machines opened when expected and the men got out, noticed their dead friend.  But in any case they took the money and started to walk the desert road.  There were strange vehicles passing them (car like)  One stopped and they offered the riders the money to take them to a safe not so hot place.  The occupants laughed.  The cash, the bills, the money was not even recognizable to them. The cash was OUTOFDATE and not even used anymore and was worthless.  The last scene was them walking alone on the road with nothing of value and nowhere to go. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is ok to throw stuff away.  It's just stuff.  It's ok to donate it, it's just stuff.  People in the past loved it, needed it, used it, wanted.  They are gone, so you are under NO OBLIGATION to keep it.

Unburden yourself and make YOUR LIFE better if that would do it!  They loved you and would want you to be happy, not storing a bunch of their old stuff.

If they would be mad at you for getting rid of it, that's the best reason to dump it!  LOL!!!!  

Stuff you don't want takes up space and makes you feel bad.  It can't get a job or bring in money, it can't do anything but irritate you.  It is heavy, it gets dusty and it takes up space. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It is ok to throw stuff away.  It's just stuff.  It's ok to donate it, it's just stuff.  People in the past loved it, needed it, used it, wanted.  They are gone, so you are under NO OBLIGATION to keep it.

Unburden yourself and make YOUR LIFE better if that would do it!  They loved you and would want you to be happy, not storing a bunch of their old stuff.

If they would be mad at you for getting rid of it, that's the best reason to dump it!  LOL!!!!  

Stuff you don't want takes up space and makes you feel bad.  It can't get a job or bring in money, it can't do anything but irritate you.  It is heavy, it gets dusty and it takes up space. 

What @Sooner said is true and if it's your own stuff you have been saving for a special occasion stop saving it and use it!  

I learned that a long time ago from my mother.  I had stuff I was saving and decided the person or people that gave me this stuff would have wanted me to use it.  So I use it and think of them every time I do.

Honored Contributor

Taking one's self out of the mix...

step waaaay back...like 3miles-down-the-road way back,

and look at this with new eyes.....

Our ancestors and immediate older family was so wasteful.

Purchasing so many dishes & silverware only to be used sporadically 

throughout the year.  

and....

They were/are so arrogant to think their belongings would be revered

as 'treasures' to be passed on for eternity.

I'm so glad my Mom/Dad didn't believe in any of that and to bestow

all the 'stuff' to my siblings & me.
They're just dishes.

Rather silly to think otherwise, if you think about it. 

And I remember my Mom saying that once we started our new

adult lives and/or families, holiday traditions would be our own,

not something our "grandparents & great-grandparents did'.

We started our life to create OUR own traditions. 

My Mom was so ahead of her time....and is so flippin' cool.

Just my musings....back to the original topic or getting rid of the stuff!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Taking one's self out of the mix...

step waaaay back...like 3miles-down-the-road way back,

and look at this with new eyes.....

Our ancestors and immediate older family was so wasteful.

Purchasing so many dishes & silverware only to be used sporadically 

throughout the year.  

and....

They were/are so arrogant to think their belongings would be revered

as 'treasures' to be passed on for eternity.

I'm so glad my Mom/Dad didn't believe in any of that and to bestow

all the 'stuff' to my siblings & me.
They're just dishes.

Rather silly to think otherwise, if you think about it. 

And I remember my Mom saying that once we started our new

adult lives and/or families, holiday traditions would be our own,

not something our "grandparents & great-grandparents did'.

We started our life to create OUR own traditions. 

My Mom was so ahead of her time....and is so flippin' cool.

Just my musings....back to the original topic or getting rid of the stuff!

@sidsmom  I love my China and silver and was very happy to have it. I am looking to the future as I know my niece doesn’t want it. 

I take after my Mom in my love for old beautiful things. 

Thank goodness everyone is different and was/is able to enjoy what they like.

Frequent Contributor

I've heard that if you sell locally, make sure to drive to a police station to exchange your items and money to avoid a scary situation.

Honored Contributor

The set I have was purchased in the 1920s and my mothers sets would have been engagement/wedding gifts in 1953/1954.

They all have silver or gold in the patterns.

We didn't have a dishwasher growing up, so everything was handwashed anyway.

But not today ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN