Esteemed Contributor

Re: Inherited china and crystal question

@jazzed Some auction houses will take your items, but unless you have put in a minimum bid, you don't know what your items will sell for. And then, the auction house will take a percentage - usually 15 to 25 percent. If you put in a minimum bid and the items don't sell, you will be obligated to cover that amount. For your things, at least check the sold items on ebay to see what they are worth. Right now we have 150 year old ironstone (service for 12) sold during the Buchanan presidency that used to be worth thousands of dollars. Kids don't want it, and it's not selling for nearly as much as it used to sell for. Wish we had moved on it 30 years ago.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The problem is there just aren't very many people these days that want a 90 piece set of china.  That would have been a young bride's choice years ago but the brides today just do not want it.  So, the remaining market is people who are looking to fill in missing pieces in the sets they already own.  The day when the 90 piece set is more valuable than individual pieces is gone for now.  Rethink the current trends and plan to sell accordingly.  Treasures from the past are just not treasured by the young buyers these days.  To quote Bob Dylan..." The times they are a-change'n."

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

There is no market, my parents had a Noritake china for 16 and my brother and I have no idea what we are going to do with it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@jazzed  First, do you want to sell it (make money) or just get rid of it? If you want to make some money off of it:

Any silver items? Check to see if they are sterling or plated. Contact a company that will buy silver and gold (as if you were selling jewelry). Silver was going for more than gold recently, so you can make a pretty penny that way.

Crystal: any of it Waterford? There are many collectors out there looking to complete/add to their collection (I'm one of them) and looking for specific items. Check out Waterford groups on Facebook, put info up on Craigslist and/or local paper.

Ebay is great. You LIST it as "BUYER MUST PICK UP ITEMS". Trust me, the number of people who will drive to get something they really want is more than you realize. I've done it, friends have done it. 

Last, put an ad in the paper/Craigslist FREE TO GOOD HOME and stating you have china, crystal, etc. SOMEONE will take it for free. Again, trust me.

It may take a bit of time but you can get interest if you think about how YOU would want to find something you really, really want. List the patterns, the number of items,etc. You'll get rid of it in the end,.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35  that's my thought about the shipping - 90 pieces of fine china! And who knows what could happen in transport or by recipient.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know what your living sitation is, but PLEASE think twice before you advertise anywhere for strangers to come to your house.  The safety of you and your family is far more important and valuable than any amount of money  you can get from private individuals coming to your home for your used goods.  Be safe...there are other ways.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

There are local buy/sell groups on Facebook. Ours has so much junky looking stuff. I've never seen truly fine pieces out there.

Respected Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

Does anyone have recent experience to share on how you went about pricing and selling inherited family fine china and crystal? I have complete service in excellent condition, probably 50 years old. Very pretty high quality pieces, but I have no use for them, and it's time to let go.

Replacements, Ltd. and eBay are not options. The research I've done thus far tells me that the market is flooded with vintage, and is not sought after by younger people. 

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

I have my Mother's Lenox china.  I'm thinking about selling it.  We have a neighborhood garage sale every spring, so garage sales are always a good idea.  I remember one year two men came up to me asking very specifically for silverware, china, jewelry, electronics...higher end things.  That's the only things they were looking for.  My neighborhood also has an app that sales things.  Do you have something like that?  I don't expect to get much for it.  As other posters have said, I don't think there is any demand or need.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jazzed - I have lots of experience with this. It is a big undertaking. 

My mom died in 2011. Between then and when my dad passed away in July, 2016, I liquidated a ton of China, crystal and sterling silver. 

Crystal- we had a ton of it. I was selling my mom's, mine and my sister had me sell hers. All Waterford, all the same pattern. What I did first was look up the retail price on Macy's for the different pieces. Most of mine and my sister's was brand new. Still had the little Waterford stickers on the pieces. I took the retail price and decided to try to sell them for 50% of the retail price. I sold quite a bit of it on a Facebook yard sale page.  Through Facebook, it all sold really really quickly. I'd list them and they would sell within a day or two at most. 

On the used pieces, we have a great consignment store in the area, multiple locations. I took the used pieces to them. They did the pricing. Obviously much less than the 50% I sold the new at.  But it all sold very quickly. Week or two at most. Of course, the consignment store took their portion. 

On the china, I had several sets to sell. Two that my sister and I had inherited from our grandmother and then we had my mom's to sell. I didn't even try Facebook yard sale. I'd seen others try to sell china and people literally wanted to pay next to nothing. I tried the consignment store. They wouldn't take the sets. I tried another consignment store, well known in the area. They said they had an entire room filled with china that people brought in and never came back and got when it didn't sell. They wouldn't even look at what I had. The sets we had were really ornate. My great aunt had bought them in Europe in the 40's or 50's. So.....I contacted Replacements Ltd. and got a price list from them for two of the sets to start with. They're a 6 1/2 hour drive from my house. My husband and I drove the two sets up there. Up and back in one really long day. But it was worth it because they gave us a good price. Not anywhere remotely what it's cost but it was much much better than the $0 I was getting at home. 

After my dad died, as we drove up north to bury both of my parents remains, we stopped again at Replacements and sold my mom's set. 

We were really fortunate to be able to sell to them. If that had not been possible, I would have donated them to Goodwill and walked away. I'd had enough of them. Selling to Replacements and mailing the things to them is just out of the question. Too expensive. 

For the silver plated serving pieces, I sold most of them on Facebook yard sale. The ones that were in rough shape went to Goodwill. 

For the sterling flatware, two sets, I took it to my local jeweler and sold it for scrap. The pieces were monogrammed so I didn't see many options for that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

Does anyone have recent experience to share on how you went about pricing and selling inherited family fine china and crystal? I have complete service in excellent condition, probably 50 years old. Very pretty high quality pieces, but I have no use for them, and it's time to let go.

Replacements, Ltd. and eBay are not options. The research I've done thus far tells me that the market is flooded with vintage, and is not sought after by younger people. 

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

I sold many of my late parents furniture, paintings, crystal and fine china through an auction house. I was also told not a high demand for crystal and fine china. They were right, not a lot for the crystal and china, but the paintings sold well.