Honored Contributor

In talking about the flu shot, this post isn't, I realized that

[ Edited ]

at this age I'm seeing more things about the "old" or "older" person. I just didn't think I'd ever be in this slot. I mean, BMI charts beyond 65, don't even seem to bother with us. And there's a few other I've seen recently where this age group isn't even considered. Kind of like being invisible and having gone poof!  I look in the mirror and go So THIS is what 68 looks like. But I feel good, and do all that I can and still enjoy and still laugh.

Getting old like they say, isn't for sissys! LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: In talking about the flu shot, this post isn't, I realized that

Sometimes I say to my husband - what is the point ? What are you babbling about? That is how I feel about this post. What does this have to do with flu shots?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Sometimes I say to my husband - what is the point ? What are you babbling about? That is how I feel about this post. What does this have to do with flu shots?

ROFLOL you are absolutely right. I stated, "this post isn't" (about the flu shot) it's more about age. But thanks for contributing. I know being a former nurse, you like to give info re the flu shot, thanks!!

Esteemed Contributor

Like the O/P I'm 68 too, and I still have plenty of energy. I go to dance aerobics three days a week and free weight/stretch classes twice a week. Unfortunately, being active all my life means I now have the knees to prove it, but that doesn't stop me. On the other hand, what almost stopped me for good was the flu about 20 years ago. It was the only year I neglected to get a flu shot. For over a week my temperature was 105. My asthma kicked in and I couldn't breathe. It took 8 months to get my asthma back under control. Now I'm first on line for the flu shot. This year I got it in August.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quality Gal, I know exactly what you're talking about, as I have been trying for several months to find info about BMI recommendations for myself at age 66. It's as if there is no one on the face of the earth who is that age.  Most of the charts stop at age 55 (?)

I did finally find some 411 after long efforts Googling; unfortunately, I only remember the gist, which is that it's OK to have a slightly higher BMI.

Actually I was looking for percentages of body fat rather than  BMI per se, as I bought a scale this summer that tells me that--but I don't know what the number means.  It also tells me percentage of water, muscle, and bone-weight, but can't find the chart anywhere online that will give me average figures for the age group over 60.

I felt invisible as a young person, too, except to other young people. 

It's the same, I find, now that I am older.  And there are still people out there who react to the person, not the life-stage, so I do have a few younger friends at work.  This is one reason I like to keep working as long as my health is up to it: I enjoy being among a mix of people.

Valued Contributor

QualityGal,

I can totally relate.  My best friend and I, who have been best friends since high school, are constantly saying to each other, 'How did we get so old so fast?'  We know the reality is that we just all of a sudden didn't become this age (69). It just seems like it.  It seems like only yesterday we were at university, graduating, starting our teaching careers, getting married, having children but the reality is that is wasn't 'only yesterday.'  It took many, many years for us to get here.  I look in the mirror and scare myselfWoman Sad but it is what it is. I have some aches and pains and am happily retired. I work as a substitute teacher by choice because I still love teaching and the kids.  I read something that said, 'When the years behind you are greater than the years ahead of you, your perspective changes.'  My friend and I were saying we don't want to buy anything that has a longer warranty on it than we have on ourselves.Smiley Frustrated  She still has her husband but I was widowed 17 years ago.   We were saying we can't remember our moms complaining about aging but maybe they did to their friends as we do.  All we can do is treasure every moment we have and live life to the fullest. I hope to age with grace and dignity, like my dear mother did.  She was blessed, as I am, in never being sick with anything serious until she deveoped congestive heart failure at 89 and passed at 94 with her mind sharper than mine.  Let's enjoy life.  docsgirl

Respected Contributor

I'm a little confused as to what this post is about.  Is it the flu shot, staying in shape as we age, how time goes by so quickly, BMI?  For those comments about BMI is there a different chart for older people?  I just thought it was based on height and weight for all ages.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

I'm a little confused as to what this post is about.  Is it the flu shot, staying in shape as we age, how time goes by so quickly, BMI?  For those comments about BMI is there a different chart for older people?  I just thought it was based on height and weight for all ages.

When they did our BMI at the YMCA for my preventing diabetes class it had nothing to do with age - just height and weight.

And I still do not understand the point of the OP, or why she responded to chastise me when she is the one who started a thread that makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

We got old and we thought it wouldn't happen.Everyone who is lucky gets a turn to experience this stage so I say make the best of it.Dont let yourself get caught up in the past and try to belong to the future.Lets make old the new great thing.We won't be left behind if we remain involved.

Valued Contributor

QualityGal, thank you.  I was upset about a family issue but your comment gave me  perspective.  Thank you for reminding me to treasure every moment we have and live life to the fullest.