Valued Contributor

Does anyone here have diabetic nerve pain in their legs.? My blood sugar levels are always good . I only have this feeling in one leg. If you do what does it feel like? Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

Diabetic neuropathy in my feet completely disappeared when I lost 50 pounds of weight.  It used to feel like needles sticking into my feet.  I sure don't miss that sensation.

Honored Contributor

My husband has been diabetic for 18 years, and is disabled from this progressive condition.  The neuropathy in his hands, feet and legs is severe.  His complaint is described as a constant burning, tingling feeling, for which there is no complete relief.  

Valued Contributor

I have that feeling in my feet.  23 yrs. diabetic.  My dr. prescribes Gabapentin.  I take 2 a day and it really helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop

I have read several times of the fact, your husband is diabetic. 

I am very sorry that this condition has happened in your family. I know you appear to be a very devoted caregiver and wife, also. sometimes we are warned of the fact: family history, strong pre disposing factors...`°that or not watching one's diet, thus the person's body cannot handle the over abundance of -SUGARS- stored away, thus finding out ..."you have diabetes, et cetra". 

Was this disease sometimes that could have been preventable, or absolutely a condition that had come ln slowly, without notice. 

The reason I asked is: I had a very good friend that was in a league of his own...'HEALTHY' 100%. 

He began eating anything and everything he wanted, from lobster to high portions of red meat, to any type of sweets he so desired, UNTIL he told me ( 4 years ago) his last blood work came back with a very high level, that being triglycerides, which he actually did not understand.

I told him to cut back 99% with every thing you are eating and go with just vegetables and some fruits, which he did NOT, so now he went from lowering glucose meds to no avail.- to being insulin dependant.

I know that this was all due to an over supply of sweets in his diet. No one in his family was diabetic, without knowing any history 3 generations back.

Also, due to high lipids, before the TRIGs, he now has retinal vein occlusion. He 'has' to have an injection in to the eye just to decrease the hypertension of the artery within the eyeball, itself..at a cost of $1300.00 per injection. 

I contribute this, well most of it, to where he lives and what traditional foods those people are used to eating. In the southern states?!  

Just a question that may help others. I view sugar and red meats as pure posion. I would be interested of any comments you have to offer. 

Working In the medical field, I  can not compare having diabetes any worse, on a daily basis, any more time consuming than a long term disease. Thank you for reading. 

Also, in those 18 years, did you totally change your family's diet from what was- to what DID change?

NAES

Respected Contributor

How do you know it's diabetic nerve pain?  Have you talked to your doctor?  You really ought to for the best advice and treatment. 

Respected Contributor

I've been a Type !! diabetic for about 14 years.  No previous history in my family I am aware of, but many died in early 60's, so it might have been undetected, or might have appeared later in life. It came as a surprise for me, because I've never been a sugar lover.  However, I do eat a lot of fruit.

I do have nerve pain - not often, but definitely diabetic nerve pain.  I believe most people have this in their feet, but mine is in my lower leg - knee to ankle.  It feels like a bee sting. Lasts only a few seconds, and goes away at once if you rub it.  True for me, anyway. I am not on medication for the nerve pain.

A bee sting is the best description I can come up with. Less painful than a sting from a wasp - a yellow jacket is more like it.  Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop

Question: Also noted your post. 

SCROLL THROUGH

NAES

@RedTop wrote:

My husband has been diabetic for 18 years, and is disabled from this progressive condition.  The neuropathy in his hands, feet and legs is severe.  His complaint is described as a constant burning, tingling feeling, for which there is no complete relief.  

ABOVE. Question.

Honored Contributor

@NAES1,

To answer your question, yes, my husband has a strong family history of diabetes.  He was diagnosed in his mid 40's, and suffered a big MI within a year, which doctors attributed to his diabetes.  Fast forwarding several years, we learn that Vietnam veterans have the highest rate of diabetes and heart disease of any group of veterans in US history, both of which are linked to their military service----being directly linked to the high fat, high carb food they were served during their enlistment period.  Based on my husband's health issues, we began to pursue disability compensation through the VA.  Every time there was a worsening change in his condition, I made sure the appropriate documentation was in his medical record, and then we would go back to our local VA rep and ask for another medical review.  With each review, my husband would advance a little further percentage wise, until he reached 100% disability.  

Thru the years we have made several big diet changes, but have never let ourselves feel deprived.  Nothing is totally off limits, but our biggest adjustments have been with our favorite heavy comfort foods, bread, pasta, and white potatoes.  Both of our cholesterol numbers are very good, so his doctor does not see a problem with what he's eating.  The biggest struggle is the impact of breathing steroids on his blood sugar.  It takes great effort to keep his A1c close to his target range of 8.0.   For many diabetics, 8.0 is too high, but for an 18 year diabetic with the advanced issues my husband has, that level is very acceptable.  

Peripheral artery disease was diagnosed last year thru a nerve conduction study, and is being monitored.  My husband takes the maximum dosage of Gabapentin daily and still has a pain level between 7 and 10.   The next step for relief, is an actual pain medication.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@NAES1,

To answer your question, yes, my husband has a strong family history of diabetes.  He was diagnosed in his mid 40's, and suffered a big MI within a year, which doctors attributed to his diabetes.  Fast forwarding several years, we learn that Vietnam veterans have the highest rate of diabetes and heart disease of any group of veterans in US history, both of which are linked to their military service----being directly linked to the high fat, high carb food they were served during their enlistment period.  Based on my husband's health issues, we began to pursue disability compensation through the VA.  Every time there was a worsening change in his condition, I made sure the appropriate documentation was in his medical record, and then we would go back to our local VA rep and ask for another medical review.  With each review, my husband would advance a little further percentage wise, until he reached 100% disability.  

Thru the years we have made several big diet changes, but have never let ourselves feel deprived.  Nothing is totally off limits, but our biggest adjustments have been with our favorite heavy comfort foods, bread, pasta, and white potatoes.  Both of our cholesterol numbers are very good, so his doctor does not see a problem with what he's eating.  The biggest struggle is the impact of breathing steroids on his blood sugar.  It takes great effort to keep his A1c close to his target range of 8.0.   For many diabetics, 8.0 is too high, but for an 18 year diabetic with the advanced issues my husband has, that level is very acceptable.  

Peripheral artery disease was diagnosed last year thru a nerve conduction study, and is being monitored.  My husband takes the maximum dosage of Gabapentin daily and still has a pain level between 7 and 10.   The next step for relief, is an actual pain medication.  

_______

@RedTop

As always, I have this connection of some type of geography, to some similar location...been there -studied there or my family member has worked there and / or worked with doctors through interiums. Although he had made hi home in Fla. but is frequently in _this locale_.

We have a family member who was in Viet Nam

-1965-69. 

My brother is a Board Certified Psychotherapist. He did work through the VA system to sound out the resonsilbilty of each doctor, nurse or anyone who makes desisions. The stories I have heard are close to very poor, or worse. Many years of the truth being said but nothing really done. I speak of years and years ago. I am not exactly omitting an area but close enough.

We are so (can I say it's about time) thrilled to know of the so called new turn over, through a change of supervisors, is changing and have been since 8+ months ago. He knows so much about all of the staff. Not American nurses, in higher ratios are here, but these foreign nurses. They do not know as much as a trained certified US nurse. Many of the doctors are lulless in getting both the older soldiers, along with the newer ones, those having any success- being checked for records years back, or the accessments to be made if, i.e., a colonoscopy is needed as well as a MRI done, then the patient is no longer with us due to sloppy unreported doctors.  Making $$$s off of the Gv t.

That I do know.

You  are correct, having a massive MI -yes, indeed that would be the reason. Glad to know though your husband was diagnosed in his 40s. I will stretch this out further and say the disease, diabetes can and will cause a host of anything from colon cancer to amputation of 1st the small toe then leading to the entire upper leg. 

18 year later, then now, having A1c, the level of 8.0 is wonderful. I go further with the MI and diet to this day. 

How knowledgeable you are in controlling his intake -out put, along with portion control. If left to the vA, I don't think, hardly would believe he would be here if left under [them] totally. 

I am assuming he has his private doctor but received all meds from the VA. 

I think you can tell I have little endorement for the past VA or anyone who works there. VAs are for ( I believe) the docs, nurses that have problems (sometimes) working elsewhere. Just my own opinion.

Gabapentin was used for ONLY fibromyalgia but now used for over 2+ years for diabetic nerve pain, but like with other maldies for Nerve Pain is not the best FOR PAIN! Why he has not been put on P. med is clueless to me-...UNLESS he is totally dependant on the LAST WORD from the VA? He would be on P. med for being 100% disability. I am asking my brother what would be the next step. You must know that the V A is very stingy and almost has the patient beGging and there are numerous altercations all - of-the-time. 

Did you know in this area, I speak about, the meds are stolen. FROM the Post off. That ws found by my broth.

V's reps are in the clout of saying either no or WAIT. 

EverYthing you have told me reminds me of the place we, personally know of, not me personally, per se, but my brother. How horribly pitiful to find this happening. One PSTD patient waited for over 1.5 years for a MRI/ colonoscopy. Never received this, but complained of pain, then he died. At fault, YES...they found this through an autopsy's report. No one was brought to justice, Every thing kept -hush. This continues on. 

I will continue on but getting this completed. BUT! Does the area or road Spring something, maybe Valley ring a bell? It sure does to me, because this hosp. sounds exactly like where this has happened.