Trusted Contributor

i am a diabetic because I had part of my pancreas removed ( along with several other organs) due to tumors found there.  As the pancreas is involved with insulin use and digestive enzymes, i now take 175 units of insulin and nine enzyme capsules a day.  The emotional, financial, and physical tolls have been great.  Yes, I have neuropathy-- especially in my hands and feet.  I have not found anything to provide relief.  The issue is becoming worse.  There is a tingling and burning accompanied by an inability to feel what is in my hands and under my feet.

Honored Contributor

I'm a type 1 diabetic and have had several of the complications due to this disease. But I've been so grateful that I haven't developed neuropathy yet. It sounds pretty terrible.

Wow KailaS you certainly take a lot of insulin. I was tested years ago to find out what extent of my pancreas actually works. It was only about 2%. I don't even take a quarter of the insulin you do! God bless you. There's a special place in heaven for us diabetics I'm convinced.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@NAES1,

To clarify, my husband was not in the VA system at the time of his big MI, and for that I am actually very thankful.  He was diagnosed where I worked, then transferred to the care of a top notch cardiologist upstate for his cath procedure.   My husband opted to go into the VA system about 15+ years ago.  We live in southern West Virginia and use the VA closest to us, which is an hour away, and is a small, but efficient facility.  When the VA system was under scrutiny for delays in appointments and services for veterans, our VA facility passed their big indepth review with flying colors----no violations were found, and I know my husband has never had to wait on the care he has needed.  Specialty services and complex issues are referred to Salem, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia, and even getting an appointment there has never been a problem, altho we have not visited those facilities very much.   Nothing about Spring or Valley rings a bell with me.   

Honored Contributor

Congratulations....how did you lose the weight?  I eat really healthy and exercise and still have a numbness in my feet.  I would like to lose weight and your comment gives me hope.

Honored Contributor

Deepwaterdotter.....Congratulations!   how did you lose the weight?  I eat really healthy and exercise and still have a numbness in my feet.  I would like to lose weight and your comment gives me hope.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@NAES1,

To clarify, my husband was not in the VA system at the time of his big MI, and for that I am actually very thankful.  He was diagnosed where I worked, then transferred to the care of a top notch cardiologist upstate for his cath procedure.   My husband opted to go into the VA system about 15+ years ago.  We live in southern West Virginia and use the VA closest to us, which is an hour away, and is a small, but efficient facility.  When the VA system was under scrutiny for delays in appointments and services for veterans, our VA facility passed their big indepth review with flying colors----no violations were found, and I know my husband has never had to wait on the care he has needed.  Specialty services and complex issues are referred to Salem, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia, and even getting an appointment there has never been a problem, altho we have not visited those facilities very much.   Nothing about Spring or Valley rings a bell with me.   

@RedTop

Hello RedTop, thank you for your reply, also, for the outstanding overview that your husband has been given. 

Yes, I definitely do know when the 'scrunity' broke out. Not all V. Centers are as well managed as those you have mentioned, though.

Since Spring ...something does not "{ring a bell}, then your area, there is not the same V. Center I speak about. This was Huntington.

Definitely....many inside problems that have occurred, but as I mentioned...those were kept closed, along with tight lipped staff members. This tells me that my strange connection of geography is _not the same area_; I was so sure of my instincts, but this was not one to be known to you.

Only know of this information through the so called Top People associated with investigators. 

I am elated that your husband has never had to wait...for anything.

My best to you and your family.

NAES

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Deepwaterdotter.....Congratulations!   how did you lose the weight?  I eat really healthy and exercise and still have a numbness in my feet.  I would like to lose weight and your comment gives me hope.

It's been a slow and steady process of a physician-monitored program of exercise and limited calorie intake.  I will have been on the regime for a year in December.  I still have many more pounds to lose, but believe I will reach my goal.  There is no magic bullet,  just discipline and determination.  I think everyone is different and needs to find the program that works best for their lifestyle.  Best of luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@NAES1,

I am quite a few hours south of Huntington, WV.   We could travel to the 2 facilities I mentioned in Virginia in less time than the drive to that VA up north.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop

...."at least I was not that far off the path, but am finding out each month, via, àn ombudsman..what exactly is being corrected 100%"...

'Even though I am not a map guru, I had no idea that there was any other towns, cities more southern than 'H'.

I do know of an university - more to the west, which would be Charleston. We know Manchin, Rahall, and (still there, forever) Jay R. .....(No comment on him- period)!

At least I know my instincts did not fail me as much as I was beginning to think!

Hopefully, I will see you on the boards again, soon. Take care and all good tidings coming your your way.

NAES