Valued Contributor

Re: In talking about the flu shot, this post isn't, I realized that

Oops so sorry.  I meant to commnet on docsgirl's post.

Respected Contributor

Age does affect assessments of fitness levels and fatness levels, too.  The internet body-fat percentages chart I just looked at stops at age 56.

At age 30, the percentage of body fat where obesity begins is given as 32.9% or more of body fat. At the highest age mentioned by the chart, age 56, obesity starts after 38.1%.

Decrease in muscle mass is a normal part of aging--even physical exercise only slows this process.  As muscle and bone mass diminishes over time, body fat percentages will increase even in people who don't look overweight. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know exactly what you mean @qualitygal.  Not just in health so much but in purchasing.  At 68 y.o., I don't feel the need to buy so many "things".  There are more years behind me than in front of me.  When I was redoing my bathroom, I kept in mind that buying high end would just be giving more to the next dweller.  Our house isn't worth what we bought it for and there is still a mortgage.  At best, when we go to the old folks home or wherever, the bank will get it.

Salespeople are quick to use lifetime warranties as a selling point to buy expensive fixtures and the like.  Won't do me any good, lol.  Soooo, I've decided to buy just the things that will enhance my life "right now" but not in excess. 

I have more clothes than the law allows, some never worn.  Same with jewelry.  When we or I die, whichever sister gets here first can have it.

I guess I'm saying that the reason seniors are ignored in such things as BMI charts and the like is because they know most of us won't make it too this point so they don't waste time on us.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Thank you ladies, and @Burnsite thank you for that info. Never too old to learn something each day. @Mmsfoxxie I so agree with a lot of your comments. This stage of life is truly amazing. Thank you ladies!

Honored Contributor

Has anyone read the book  Calling Invisable Women - Jean Ray?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras