Respected Contributor

••Vertigo Knocks Millions off Their Feet - New Research••

I've seen lots of posts about posters with vertigo and not many good treatments and this new research looks like it might be promising relief.

It's really too long to post, here's the link:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vertigo-knocks-millions-off-their-feet-and-doctors-are-loo...

"Vertigo can knock people off their feet for years. Ear implants and gene therapy are new attempts at relief

Leaping through the air with ease and spinning in place like tops, ballet dancers are visions of the human body in action at its most spectacular and controlled. Their brains, too, appear to be special, able to evade the dizziness that normally would result from rapid pirouettes. When compared with ordinary people's brains, researchers found in a study published early this year, parts of dancers' brains involved in the perception of spinning seem less sensitive, which may help them resist vertigo......"

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ••Vertigo Knocks Millions off Their Feet - New Research••

While they're at it I hope they address tinnitus.

Respected Contributor

I hate vertigo and when I had it 2 years ago, I could not even keep water down because I was nauseated all the time.  I haven't read your article yet but will....just wanted to say that my ENT told me to take 1000 MG of Vit C each day and I have....no more vertigo.  No one is more surprised than me.  My first bout of it was in my 40's but 2 years ago it was the worst it had ever been.  No bouts of it last year or this year.  

Respected Contributor

I've read posters say it's very disabling and hard to find treatment that works.

It sound terrible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, my.  Anyone who has never experienced this --- lucky you!  If you have,  whew!  You know how truly horrifying it can be!  You say "vertigo" and people just think its nothing. 

Try to go about your day when the slightest movement of your head makes you feel like you are going to be so deathly ill and that you are in another world.  You don't want to move at all.  You can't walk, you can't lay day.  Any little thing sets you off.

I have tried so many different things.  I had recent maneuvers done on me at a doctor's office and they actually made me worse before they made me better!  

My vertigo never totally goes away but at its best it is manageable but I have to watch how I move and do every little thing.  

Blessings to all who suffer!  And thanks for posting this article!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Seems like I have a bout every 3-5 years.  The worst one lasted 4 days.   My doctor has really never given me any advice.   I read on the internet to lay on your back and turn your head side to side very slowly and the fluid in your eardrums will balance out to stop it.   Don't know if it works or not, but I do do this once in awhile just cause.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie, thanks for the post.  That's an interesting article.  I have vertigo when driving at high speeds on major highways (so now I just don't do it).  Forget high bridges or "flyovers".  The part of the article that sheds light on why ballet dancers seem impervious may help me to understand why I respond the way I do.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the posts and I'm sorry for those who have had vertigo and hope you feel better.

Respected Contributor

I though it was interesting that dancers seem less prone to vertigo problems.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@debic wrote:

Seems like I have a bout every 3-5 years.  The worst one lasted 4 days.   My doctor has really never given me any advice.   I read on the internet to lay on your back and turn your head side to side very slowly and the fluid in your eardrums will balance out to stop it.   Don't know if it works or not, but I do do this once in awhile just cause.

I was jsut diagnised  by an urgent care dr -  my usually low and steady  blood  pressure  was up a few/down a few.The dr said that had more to do with the anxiety of not knowing what was wrong.  Getting in/out of bed is the worst, I think 'll try this before I get out of bed- maybe it'll help with the transition to stand. I was prescibed meds to help- I think I'll find an e&t to evauate it further. Scary stuff! I know why now I don't  like  roller coasters!!!