Esteemed Contributor

Re: In My Neighborhood.......

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago, there was this very large raccoon walking down our block as calmly as you please ... midday.   Told my DH and he looked at me strangely but said nothing.   A couple of days later DH was on the PACE bus bringing him home from his dialysis treatment.  The bus driver stopped mid-blocked and just stared ... up on the slanted roof of the tallest house on the block, there sat the raccoon.   She said ... "now there's something you don't see everyday ..."

Honored Contributor

We are about to be the neighborhood curiosity, as the person we contacted about grinding the stumps from the trees we've taken down recently, delivered the stump grinder today.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

We are about to be the neighborhood curiosity, as the person we contacted about grinding the stumps from the trees we've taken down recently, delivered the stump grinder today.   

We were the neighborhood curiosity last week and this week. We just finished having the outside painted and this week they will start on the inside. Painting company getting lots of free advertising by having their van parked in front of our house. Gotta get it painted before it gets to hot. Oh wait, it already is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

We were the neighborhood curiosity last week and this week. We just finished having the outside painted and this week they will start on the inside. Painting company getting lots of free advertising by having their van parked in front of our house. Gotta get it painted before it gets to hot. Oh wait, it already is.

@Meowingkitty  and once the inside is done you will get a lot of questions. Some might want to see it so that they can decide whether to use your painters.

Esteemed Contributor

This happened a long time ago, but I still get a kick out of it ... one evening at dusk I was watching tv on my living room sofa when the doorbell rang.  There stood this police captain (gold braid and gold checks on his cap).  He asked if he could come in ... "sure," I said.   Keep in mind this happened when my kids were teens ... this was not in today's climate.

The captain and his lieutenant asked if they could take a look around ... seems my neighbor a few houses down saw someone climbing in my window at the back of the house.  This room was and still is used as an office and den ... my youngest son was doing his homework and captain asked if everything was okay ... son also said "sure."

They continued their search through the basement and found nothing ... just a nosey neighbor, I thought, who was getting old (rest her soul).

Fast forward to a couple of years ago (pre pandemic) during a holiday gathering  ... I overheard my sons talking about how one had almost gotten caught climbing back in the house through the window in the den!  They were having the best laughs ...

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty  consider me your neighbor. What color are you painting inside?

This is your neighbor from across town. What color is the outside?

Valued Contributor

It all depends how the wind is blowing, but the smell is really unpleasant for those who don't enjoy that sort of thing or people like me with respiratory and migraine issues.  While I would never complain to my neighbors, I do wish they would be courteous to not have a fire on every nice day and night.  I don't want to take away anyone's fun and people are free to do as they wish, but it does get tiring to have to deal with that so often.  I really want some fresh air and to open my windows.  

Honored Contributor

My community has an ordinance against burning and, because of pollution, air quality, all communities should as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@Meowingkitty  and once the inside is done you will get a lot of questions. Some might want to see it so that they can decide whether to use your painters.

Not a chance. I've lived here since 1986 and I don't know my neighbors at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Meowingkitty  consider me your neighbor. What color are you painting inside?

This is your neighbor from across town. What color is the outside?

White for the walls, 2 shades of gray for the bathrooms. Nothing fancy.