Esteemed Contributor

Re: In My Neighborhood.......

@AuntG wrote:

This is such a fun thread. I'd love to see it go on all summer long. So many diverse comments; from seeing people living in their cars to high end construction projects. I'm seeing a lot of yard work being done, quite a few home improvement trucks, and many people walking with dogs and children. We've seen neighbors who sit on lawn chairs in their garage and watch everything that goes on. They even have a police scanner nearby so nothing gets missed! I'm glad all the houses in our development are well maintained, but I'm sure the lady across the street has OCD because she is constantly picking stuff off the ground. It could be a twig, corn husk from a farm field, a piece of mulch or a few peanut shells from the family that feeds squirrels. 

Good day @AuntG  waiting to hear what's happening in your neighborhood today. Yes, let's keep it going.

Honored Contributor

My neighbors are now having the pool filled with water, mowing the lawn, and trimming with a weedeater.  The neighbor next to them is washing his car. 

Honored Contributor

Just came back in from the front porch after watching my brother practice his golf swing with distance shots.  He just started "golfing" in the last year, so our hayfield is his practice zone.  

Super Contributor

In my neighborhood today we are all hunkered down indoors, battling the heat  via energy conservation and air quality alerts. Temperatures waaaayyyy above normal. DFW area. We'll come out this evening, as we do in early morning, to run errands, yardwork, grill, etc. My next door neighbors are in their pool.

I expect there is a substantial amount of napping going on...

Respected Contributor

On Thursday I found a box with old college decals and I put them on my recycling can. Cheerful and easy to spot.

Yesterday was garbage/recycling pickup. My recycling can disappeared. I have lived in this small townhouse community for seven years and never before has my recycling can disappeared. This makes no sense. I've looked around and knocked on a few doors with no luck.

I'll have to wait until next Friday to find the culprit.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

My first thought was I would LOVE to have cows in my yard looking in my window. No cows in Chicago. But then someone mentioned the cow pies 

Kudos to the business offering free Wi-Fi 

@scatcat And don't forget the fly situation if the owner doesn't keep his fences fixed, he probably doesn't spray them for flies either!  

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

On Thursday I found a box with old college decals and I put them on my recycling can. Cheerful and easy to spot.

Yesterday was garbage/recycling pickup. My recycling can disappeared. I have lived in this small townhouse community for seven years and never before has my recycling can disappeared. This makes no sense. I've looked around and knocked on a few doors with no luck.

I'll have to wait until next Friday to find the culprit.

@PickyPicky3  this happened a month ago with our garbage pail. It turns out that the pail fell inside the garbage truck. It's one of those trucks with just the driver and the truck has a grabber that picks up the pail, empties it in the truck then puts it back on the curb.

This time it didn't do what it was supposed to do. We called the Sanitation Dept and was told that this happens sometimes. They sent out a new one a week later.

Don't know if there are rules against decorating the pail, so now I'm wondering if they took it and will bring you another one. I would call them to find out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3  That's too bad.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3   What a tremendous, creative topic:  I never wld have "thunk" of this..

I'm not all that familiar with a "country-ish city" sort of neighborhood, having grown up, and spent most of my life in Metro Cities, hub areas.  So I'm still observing, & often surprised by this "more country-ish, city" sort of living that I'm in, & it's nuances.

I read here..... & can't even imagine a "cow in my yard," front or back.  I'd probably freeze.. "WHAT DO I DO???" ... "and a BULL?  with horns?"  I KNOW I'd freeze!!

As it is, when I see what look like "animal tracks" or "bug evidence,"  I call over the neighbors, esp kids, & ask lots of questions!  Then I jump on google & wikipedia for more info!

..  Sure, cities definitely have (indoor) "pets," ...  & "animals/pests," & "bugs".. but seem more limited kinds, and seems more voluminous amts of the same,  .. but not ALL *these* many, many kinds as here!

In this neighborhood, we had a nice couple, with 4 wonderful young kids, the whole family of whom I experienced as quite happy. 

..  I met the oldest child, yrs ago, when he was chasing a rabbit across the yard, & the rabbit was eluding him.  I offered to help, since I thought the rabbit was an "escaped, indoor pet." Turns out, it was an escaped "outdoor pet."  ..

...   a what? .. escaped OUTDOOR pet?    How does an "outdoor pet" escape the outdoors??

I was selected for this house,  because this family was quite Christian, & I love Bible-studying, attempted-living Christian, turns out, gratefully, as is most of the neighborhood.

When the kids started coming over, i went to Dollar Tree,  selected an empty, plastic milk bottle, labeled it "GRATITUDES," & added accompanying, dangling pad of paper, & pen, .. and as any of us in the neighborhood thought abt it, (esp the children), we could scribble any particular "Gratitudes" on the paper, anonymous or not,  drop them in the bottle,  ....  & come each Thanksgiving time, we would all sit around, surrounded by candles, and take turns, reading aloud the various "gratitudes."

The kids LOVED coming over for all sorts of activities here from ...

- using colored media, & lots of long paper, creating "a colored road" of their created, depicted pictures of their particular path of "good memories,"

- or, discovering various "grocery items," & "strange fruit," like artichokes, .. or "star fruit," ..  or "Papaya," guessing what kind of seeds wld be inside.  (They immediately wanted to plant the seeds!)

- or washing the car with a "foam gun" (fr HSN),

-or playing "limbo," w/o getting wet, while "dancing" under the water spurting out of the hose,

- or, kids coming over for the expressed purpose of WANTING "Bible studies," on my lovely porch's, fascinating "convertible bench" (now sold on QVC), (lessons/readings/bookmarking,  of which I tried to make interesting, & Bible true!)... 

- or,  "making mud pies," & "rolling around in the mud," .. (that the kids introduced me to)..

.....  (& btw, I do not like "muddy things" & am still quiet, watching them, kind of aghast) .. *and* surprised, neighboring cars of ppl continue to pull over,  stop to watch, smiling, as the kids were having a blast, "rollicking," playing, making "mud pies" that they wear on their body.. to creating dams, in the mud."  I still havent been able to get used to "enjoying" this.  The kids have become too old to continue this activity.. WHEW!

The kids didn't know "city stuff,"  incl "Yankee East Coast" stuff... So I loved introducing them to "strange things," like:

- using a "block of dry ice" ... how, when dropped in to water, it would emit plumes of fog.  (They couldnt wait until Halloween to make use of this new phenomenon.)   Their parents didnt even know about this!  ..and realize now it's handy during hurricanes, in your freezer/fridge.  The kids were shocked, how this dry "ice" could HURT, BURN, and that this "ice" cld only be touched with gloves as protection.

Unfortunately, this beloved family's mother moved out, & this adult couple are experiencing a continuing, awful battle thru a divorce, & child custody, ... seems for yrs.  .

.....Their above divorce/child custody, is just abt as awful as my "25 yr anniversary'd parents" (& our family of 4 kids) experienced for yrs.. we all had lots of questions,then  .. but "few," to "dishonest," to "no" answers... 

I'm glad these neighbor kids have more outside sources for "talks" & "sharing."  Wish I had more available to us, during my parents "very bloody" divorce.  So I try to be, as needed, if this is working for the requesting, current neighborhood kids..

..  Now, only this neighboring family'd girls, (frequently), & 1 son, (occasionally), come over.  We chat "girl to girl," color, still talk interesting life, home, divorce, family topics, & still talk (their desired) kids Bible studies. 

.. The girls love to perform dancing for all of us, (& for passing cars,  as audience), &, of course, as the girls age,  we also play with differing kinds of makeup (of which I have plenty!!).   They're fascinated with colored, & fake nails.. and all sorts of "coloring the body & hair"

And for those "mud games," I give them baggies, or empty RX bottles filled with various kinds, "flavors" of "Bubble/Body washes" .. that they love..

That's some of the events of this neighborhood...

(edited:  changed typo "INGRATITUDES" to "GRATITUDES")

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Respected Contributor

Thank you @TwinkleBell . My perspective used to be unlimited and global. Because of my age and Covid, I rarely leave my neighborhood. I simply became observant of little things going on. And if you look, there's lots and lots going on.

Of course, I would have noticed that hunky guy whenever and wherever.

I'm happy you all are enjoying this. I certainly am.