Esteemed Contributor

If You Are/Were Single Is Match.com.....

or the like something you would do or have done? After seeing numerous commercials about them I am just curious.

I have been married 50 yrs., and God forbid, if I was suddenly single I can't imagine I would be interested in dating at my age.  I have people in my life to do things with should I choose to go out. I am also fine by myself.

I know millions of people meet this way but to me it's the same as going off with a stranger. Mom told me never do that. lol I don't trust a company to vet someone for me. There are too many nutty people out there.

I had to laugh in one commercial the guy says he wants a woman who's trusting, not trustworthy, but trusting. I pointed it out to my husband and he thought it was a strange thing too.  He said maybe women in his past didn't trust him and the question is why?

So, would you date that way or have you?  

Honored Contributor

Re: If You Are/Were Single Is Match.com.....

No, no, no, no, never

The people in the commercials are actors reading the script.

I am single, widow for 6 years.

I'm not even tempted.    I do get lonely but I am not interested in "looking" for a mate or a date.    If it happens IRL, ok but no, I would never go online.   Not at my age anyway. 60s.

Trusted Contributor

No...I would never consider it.  Guess I am just “old school” and can’t imagine an on line fix up.   Society has changed and I think I would never feel comfortable taking the risk.   As you said....too many nutty people out there.  

Esteemed Contributor

The nicest, kindest guy I ever dated I met on Match.com... Unfortunately, we lived too far apart for a good relationship......

the worst (abusive) I met at church!

Trusted Contributor

I haven't because I met my husband and I remarried 20 years ago.  But I do know people ages18 to 77, yes 77, who use dating sites.  It's how people meet these days.

If I was single and interested in meeting someone, I'd try it, and I'm in my late 60's.

Super Contributor

I went on a dating site when I was newly divorced...(53 at the time). It was a learning experience since I had not dated since high school... Met 6 men over the period of a few years and I must say it was interesting.  We had contact on the dating site and emailed for several weeks and talked on the phone to get a better picture of who this person was.  After about 6 weeks we would met at a public place and brought my own car.  I had a certain time that I wanted the date to end and ordered a reasonable snack while out... 4 of the men were ok and we still talked after the date but we each knew it was not the right match...2 of the guys were kind of rude and they were dumped immediately... It was a lot of fun and I am not sorry that I tried it...One of the guys I dated on and off for a year or so - he lived at a distance so it was just as well it was not going to be....I never rushed into meeting them or letting them know where I lived or giving too  much information but it kept me from being lonely...

Honored Contributor

I know many who are either married or in long term relationships because of these types of matches and most seem fairly happy.  For me, I don't and never did want a man so bad to be a part of my life that I would do that.  I am lucky with my 30 some year relationship with my SO but I like myself and can be happy and do things alone.  I did watch my SO's sister go through so many matches that were with men who were not truthful and many married and lying but she wanted a man so desperately.  She finally did find one that was not lying but she is not really happy with him but she got her husband!!  

Honored Contributor

I've been single for almost 30 years. On-line dating...been there, done that many times over. It was all fun but I'm happy to just be single nowadays. I have no need to keep looking nor do I need anyone. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't do it.  I always say no one could love me as much or put up with some of my nonsense as much as my husband.  We've been married 40 yrs. and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else.  However, a friend of mine was widowed when he was still fairly young.  He decided to check out eHarmony, signed up, met someone, fell in love, and got married.  

Honored Contributor

If something were to happen to my husband, I have zero interest in  another relationship.  

However, I know quite a few people that have had good luck with these services.  It’s how my son met his wife🙂