Respected Contributor

Re: If You Are/Were Single Is Match.com.....

I would never.

Esteemed Contributor

Two of my co-workers met on eHarmony. One is nearly 60. He moved to be with her. They married a year ago and are very happy.

The other is also long distance and she is moving to be with him in June when she finishes grad school. Aug wedding is planned. 

I met a few guys on both Match and eHarmony but, meh. No fireworks. And I NEED fireworks! 😉

Honored Contributor

You don't have to pay to date, just dress up nice and go food shopping. I get hit on by older men all the time at Walmart and Wegmans and my husband goes shopping with me. The men compliment me and I tell them they are sweet for complimenting me and they start up a conversation. I answer them, but have to tell them I have to be on my way because my husband is standing over there and he looks impatient. I personally would not be interested in another man if my husband died. I have a great husband and one is enough.

Super Contributor

Yeah...I met BOTH my ex-husbands in church; abusive, too.
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Everyone’s a stranger until you meet them. 

I’ve never heard of anyone being killed or assaulted using online dating. I’m not saying it hasn’t happened but  It seems like we’d hear about it if it were a problem. Statistics show you’re more likely to be killed/assaulted by someone you know. 

I feel like Match.com is less of a hookup place than Tinder. At least that’s be my experience, plus you do pay for match.com whereas Tinder is free. 

The people I know who’ve used e-harmony haven’t had any luck. There isn’t as large of a pool and the fees are quite a bit higher. 

@GenXmuse 

A young guy got killed in our city--- he connected on an online dating site and went to meet who he thought was a young lady and take out her for their first date....and ended up being murdered it was all a set up......The police investigated and put the story together through his social media accounts and killers were tracked down and arrested.....The Police Dept made a point to disclose details to give a warning about online dating such as drive in separate cars, meet in a public place, pay for your own night out so date doesnt feel you owe him something etc etc....

The above murder served as a warning but how many murders could have been a relationship that began online....news stories dont usually include how the victim and killer first met....it couldve been online dating....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Two of my co-workers met on eHarmony. One is nearly 60. He moved to be with her. They married a year ago and are very happy.

The other is also long distance and she is moving to be with him in June when she finishes grad school. Aug wedding is planned. 

I met a few guys on both Match and eHarmony but, meh. No fireworks. And I NEED fireworks! 😉

@Snowpuppy 

Oh a co-worker moved to be with her man she met on an online dating service....they were to be married too.....she came back and there was no wedding...from what she said, he pretty much lied about everything in his profile, and what he had told her....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

blackhole99: It's about quality. Sure, losers are everywhere, even in the produce section of the grocery store. Hey, I don't even have to dress up to get attention. 

Respected Contributor

match.com worked just fine for us.  We've been together 16 years.  I know plenty of people that have married through that site and others. 

Just don't be stupid. Be smart about where you meet, etc., etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCalm wrote:
Yeah...I met BOTH my ex-husbands in church; abusive, too.

My heart goes out to you.  

The advice here seems to lead to "go to church" and meet the nice, safe, respectable guy. I know a guy who admittedly trolls church looking for the desperately lonely.

Honored Contributor

Funny that you take a commercial so literally.  I've been marriend for 37 years, I'm 59.  I cannot imagine being with anyone else but I'm reasonably certain that if I found myself single again, I would indeed date again because I would want to be in a relationship again.  Not necesarily married but I'd definitely want a special man in my life.  Sure I can shop and go to the movies with my friends but I do that now.  I like the romance, affection and what have you that can only be found in a relationship.  So, I do think that when I was emotionally ready, I'd want to date and that might mean a dating service.  I can't see myself doing that but as middle aged woman, I wouldn't close the door on it.