Honored Contributor

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash

DD would absolutely not let me use Huggies wipes on the DGCs. She insisted on Pampers for wipes.

WHAT? We used them on her all of her diaper years; I purchased and used them by the gazillions for school ... and NEVER got the flu ... knock on wood. I read that it is an excellent (MIT) bacteriocidal, which would preserve cosmetics well.

Lately, DD is fine with Huggies wipes... and it is because the MIT is no longer used.

Now for checking the ingredients in the didees.

@OooLaLa

I am so sorry that you are having this dire rash.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@OooLaLa

I don't think you are a fanatic. You are however very kind and a great advocate for sharing your experience. The doctor's kept telling me I had a yeast infection and did the tests and they were negative. 

I called the clinic and asked to be seen again and a retired doctor was filling in for vacations. 

He was very thorough and told me the area looked like a chemical burn. We discussed if I had been using something different. Soaps, laundry detergent etc. and I had not. 

I was very mindful of when the pain increased and discontinued the Cottonelle. 24-36 hours later the pain had decreased significantly. 

I looked on the Internet and found lawsuits that had been filed and also noticed the huge amount of ingredients banned in Europe. 

When I called the company, they would not tell me all the items that are used to make their product. However, the company was very quick to send prepaid labels and boxes for the products and medical bills to be mailed back to them.

Some companies don't want the consumer to find out what is in their products.

I agree that dangerous chemicals and additives should be banned. 

The word "all natural" should be banned from labels also. 

I hope many people read your post and read the links you provided. This will help many who had the wrong diagnosis as you experienced. 

Be well and thank you for the information. 

Almost all products HAVE to have ingredient labels. It is really easy to read the label and it really is the consumer's responsibility to read labels and avoid products containing ingredients they are allergic to or sensitive to. Not all people will have or will develop contact dermatitis from this or other ingredients.

Contributor

Thank you so much.

I have had terrible skin issues on my hands. The skin on the knuckles crack and bleed. I am discarding the fancy liquid soaps I routinely pickup at TJMaxx which, I now see, contain MIT. I think my problem is solved.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@jbs wrote:

Thank you so much.

I have had terrible skin issues on my hands. The skin on the knuckles crack and bleed. I am discarding the fancy liquid soaps I routinely pickup at TJMaxx which, I now see, contain MIT. I think my problem is solved.  Thanks again.

check your shampoos and conditioners too. Your hands come into contact with those and many containt that ingredient. If you truly are sensitive to it, you will need to switch shampoos/conditioners as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Wikipedia states that not only is it an allergen to some, it causes cell and nerve damage.  It is a cytotoxin.  I think it would be wise to steer clear from this additive even if you aren't allergic to it.  I think an allergic reaction would be awful, but compared to neurological damage??  None of it is good.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

@jbs, also check out your laundry and dish detergents, lotions and cleaning supplies.  MI is even in paint.  I hope you heal very soon.

Honored Contributor

Yikes!  I have used and recommended Huggies baby wipes on here for removing makeup and waterproof mascara many times over the years.  I do use the unscented, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  Disappointed to see other familiar names like Head and Shoulders.  Thanks for doing the work to find this out and let us know.  FDA, do your job. 

Honored Contributor

So the FDA should warn everyone about every ingredient people may have an allergic reaction to? You realize that would be pretty much everything out there, right?

Respected Contributor

@OooLaLa   

I learned about methylisothiazolinone two years ago, after developing a horrible rash on my arms, abdomen, hips, and legs.  I knew I hadn't tried any new products, so I started wondering if my laundry detergent could possibly be the cause, even though I had been using the same detergent for years without any issues.  Plus, the detergent was supposedly for "sensitive skin."  Nonetheless, I looked at the Brand Facebook page of the laundry detergent, and saw a ton of comments from people who had suddenly developed a rash.  I learned the Brand had changed the formula of the laundry detergent, and methylisothiazolinone was now being used.  Some people had posted pics on the Brand's FB page of their toddlers, who had developed rashes, and it was heartbreaking to see.  I knew how incredibly painful the rash had been for me -- along with the non-stop itching -- and I couldn't imagine a tiny child going through the same ordeal.  I then did a google search for more info, and if I'm remembering correctly, Europe had banned the ingredient in leave-on type products (lotions, etc), but did allow a certain percentage to be used in rinse-off products (shampoo, etc).  

One thing I wanted to mention is that my understanding was that methylisothiazolinone is not usually in "natural" products, although some "natural" products do include methylisothiazolinone.  My understanding was that it is more commonly included in products that aren't "all natural," so it's a good idea to check ingredient decks of all personal care products.  I remember going through all of my shower gels, lotions, etc, and most of my products were not "all natural," yet they did include methylisothiazolinone in the ingredient deck.  I ended up having to throw out many of my products.  I, also, had to rewash many loads of laundry with a new detergent a couple of times each, just to be sure the methylisothiazolinone was washed out. 

It was the absolute worst rash I have ever experienced.  It was incredibly painful.  It, also, occurred right in the middle of Summer, and the heat made it unbearable most of the time.  Luckily, I somehow avoided getting the rash on my face.  Not sure how that happened, as my face would have been exposed to my pillow cases that had been laundered with the same detergent.   

I hope you are doing better.  It sounds like you had it much worse than I did, and my heart goes out to you, as I can only imagine how much more difficult it was to have had the rash on your face.  I remember how embarrassed I was just to have the rash noticable on my arms, and to have to deal with the stares and questions.  Again, hope you are much, much better.  Thanks for sharing the info. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze

I was specifically talking about my experience with a brand of toilet paper. I don't see an ingredient deck on the label. The label does warn of possible suffocation and to keep it away from children. 

No ingredients listed though