Frequent Contributor

If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash

[ Edited ]

I post very infrequently and truly have no agenda, but I feel the need to share my experience in the hope of possibly informing others who might be having similar experiences and are desperate for answers.

I have had very painful issues with a rash on my hands for well over a year.  In December, I developed a severely uncomfortable, disfiguring facial rash, which has recurred several times.  I have made several trips to my general physician and have been on two rounds of Prednisone and a around of antibiotics.  A dermatologist said it was a contact dermatitis and that I could do allergy testing. I make a diligent effort as best I can to use and eat "natural" and organic products and even stopped vitamin supplements and everything I could think of which I thought might be the underlying cause. 

Through a chain of events and information, I came upon websites which contained facial photos nearly identical to what I had been experiencing.  The common denominator is an anti-microbial, ironically often found in "natural" products, called methylisothiazolinone.  It has many derivatives and "aliases," often shortened to MIT, and has the dubious honor of being named "Allergen of the Year 2013." Yet, we hear nothing about it.  Sure enough, it was in my so-called "natural" laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, hair conditioners and cosmetics.  Europe seems to be ahead of the U. S. in recognizing this problem.  MIT is even in baby products.  Possible serious side effects go even beyond skin issues.

This problem has cost quite a bit of money out-of-pocket because I haven't met my considerable insurance deductible.  It has cost me weeks out of my life because I was embarrassed and didn't feel like going out, but still had to meet my work obligations.  And the pain and discomfort of severe stinging, itching, swelling, bleeding and peeling are hard to put into words.  The photos in the links below are good examples. 

I would urge everybody with unexplained skin issues to look at the products you are using, even the "natural" and "organic" ones, be a diligent label reader and to familiarize yourselves with the other names this chemical is called, which you will find in the links below. 

And I would urge manufacturers to have a conscience and protect their customers, who put their trust in them and spend their hard-earned money on their products.  This has been a terrible experience, and the healing process is slow.

<Update 8/31/16:  Manufacturers of some of the products listed in these links may have removed MI from their products.>

http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com/methylisothiazolinone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylisothiazolinone

<Update 8/31/16:  Information on this page appears to have been revised since I originally posted.>

https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=72

https://www.google.com/search?q=methylisothiazolinone+allergy+symptoms&biw=1280&bih=603&source=lnms&...

Super Contributor

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash

Thanks for posting this.  I went through a similar episode with peeling skin patches on my face.  I found medicated powder (like Gold Bond) helped some.  Eventually, most of it cleared away but I still have some moments.  A former doctor said it would clear up when the weather changed,   one of the reasons he is a former .    With the increasing use of unknown additives in food and household products, it's a wonder there is anyone at all functional at any level.

Trusted Contributor

This ingredient affected me.  I was using Kirkland brand wipes (similar to Cottonelle bathrom wipes) and I got a very bad rash -- unfortunately, I did not figure out what was the cause nor did my physician.  It was so painful.   Finally I googled that ingredient and sure enough that was the cause.  I contacted Costcp and they must have had lots of complaints because they removed that ingredient!  I'm using Nellie's Laundry Soap which contains All Natural Laundy Soda, Sodium Silicate, Surfactant derived from Coconut Oil if you haven't found a good laundry detergent. 

Super Contributor

I sympathize with your condition. I experienced the same cracked, bleeding and painful symptons when using gel nails. I had to stop having my nails done and the fingers healed completely. Dermatologist aslo diagnosed it as contact dermatitis.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this.  I checked out the household products list, and there is my "natural" dish liquid and counter cleaner.  It's maddening that so many of the products that have it are purchased to avoid this kind of chemical.

Honored Contributor

@OooLaLa

Metho (MIT) has been removed from my favorite wipes by Huggies. I do swear that this ingredient killed germs very efficiently.

But it has been removed and at first I was disheartened. 

However, your experience with it is terrible.

I wish you well... the manufacturers might reimburse you with free, MIT-free products if you contact them.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Thank you for this!

Esteemed Contributor

I urge y'all, just as I urge my family members, do not become complacent by the words all natural.  Just because it comes from nature does not mean it is safe.  Curare, arsenic, lead, belladonna and many, many plants are naturally occurring substances but are certainly not safe.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

This ingredient is in many many products- skincare, haircare, dish soaps, hand soaps, household cleaners, etc. So if you are one of the ones allergic to it, you must read labels of anything that comes into contact with your skin, scalp, hair.

Frequent Contributor

@Marp, I totally agree that "natural" on a label is meaningless, except for a higher price tag.   The Wikipedia information is alarming, particularly regarding MI's effect on developing neurons.  What could be the effect on babies and children?  My skin still is struggling to heal.