Frequent Contributor

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash

@KYToby Thank you for sharing your experience and opinions.  I'm very happy for you that your skin issues have resolved.  However, if you will follow some of the links other posters and I have provided throughout this thread, I think you'll find that problems with MI and the like are not uncommon, with support groups on Facebook and endless links on the search engines.  I also think you'll find that it isn't "good" for anybody.  It was named the 2013 Contact Allergan of the Year.  There has been a crackdown on its use in Europe. It was linked to a recent well-known lawsuit. And no, I had no part of that.

I'm glad that you haven't had to experience an MI reaction.

I can assure you that I'm not for goverment over-regulation and intrusion, but when something can cause such a severe reaction, not just with me, but with many others, including babies and children, and it isn't absolutely necessary in life, my opinion is that it needs to be thoroughly examined, just like "banned" chemicals were.  Anybody who has reacted to MI will tell you using it isn't worth running the risk.

Continued good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

First off, I empathize with you.  I have had severe skin allergies all of my life, and ultimately, it comes down to the individual.  Mny things which irritate my skin do not affect othes.  By the same token, there are things which affect others significantly but have no impact on me.

Unfortunately, when it comes to determining the allergies, it is a lot of work on the one suffering.  You have to eliminate almost everything and slowly add things back in until you determine the cause.  The othe solution is allergy testing, but even that does not cover everything.

As for "natural" and "organic" products.  Anyone who gives this advice is clearly clueless.  These terms do not mean "safe" or "better."  Peanuts are natural, but they kill people with peanut allergies (even organic peanuts).  Ragweed and poison ivy are both natural, but many people are allergic.

I am glad you have found the cause of your rash, but this is not a substancewhich commonly affects others in the same way.  While you need to avoid it, others do not, and it seems silly to change the makeup of many producs simply because it has an adverse reaction in a small number of people.  If we did, most products would be coming off the shelves.

@KYToby  While many of these chemicals may not give an immediate allergic reaction, the long term effect such as neurological harm, is worthy of concern.  They are cytoxins and if that would mean pulling things off the shelf until alternative/safer ingredients could be substituted, so be it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@OooLaLa and others interested in looking for alternative/safer products:

I realize that these are not cosmetic alternatives, but would fall under safer household ideas:

INSTEAD OF ROUNDUP -  Since we lost our dog to lymphoma in June, I have done a lot of reading about causes, etc.  The one thing that keeps popping up is RoundUp.  We are now using a mixture of one gallon vinegar, one carton of salt, a squirt of dish soap.  THIS WORKS!  DH mixes it in a pump lawn sprayer and away he goes.  Smiley Happy

INSTEAD OF INSECT YARD SPRAY (mosquitoes especially) -  One gallon of water, 8 ounces of neem oil, squirt of dish soap, sprayed through a hose sprayer.  Since using this, we have also not seen box elder bug, ants, or flies. 

We had a tech, that works for one of the "chemical" bug companies, tell us that he broadcasts diatamateous earth in the area where his dogs run and he has never had fleas.  This was in Florida.  It is cheap and worth a try.  You can also sprinkle this on your carpets!

Keep reading labels and sharing ideas!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

First off, I empathize with you.  I have had severe skin allergies all of my life, and ultimately, it comes down to the individual.  Mny things which irritate my skin do not affect othes.  By the same token, there are things which affect others significantly but have no impact on me.

Unfortunately, when it comes to determining the allergies, it is a lot of work on the one suffering.  You have to eliminate almost everything and slowly add things back in until you determine the cause.  The othe solution is allergy testing, but even that does not cover everything.

As for "natural" and "organic" products.  Anyone who gives this advice is clearly clueless.  These terms do not mean "safe" or "better."  Peanuts are natural, but they kill people with peanut allergies (even organic peanuts).  Ragweed and poison ivy are both natural, but many people are allergic.

I am glad you have found the cause of your rash, but this is not a substancewhich commonly affects others in the same way.  While you need to avoid it, others do not, and it seems silly to change the makeup of many producs simply because it has an adverse reaction in a small number of people.  If we did, most products would be coming off the shelves.

@KYToby  While many of these chemicals may not give an immediate allergic reaction, the long term effect such as neurological harm, is worthy of concern.  They are cytoxins and if that would mean pulling things off the shelf until alternative/safer ingredients could be substituted, so be it.

ETERNITY.........have you thought about it??????

@tends2dogs I suppose not everything is comprehensible to everyone. I had the skin problem on my hands for well over a year and then the all-out reactions on my face, all the while unaware that I was using MI products daily and wondering why I couldn't heal. I also have had a strange little cough. I remember distinctly that I became aware of MI on July 2.  I've eliminated those products and gradually have been improving. After the damage is done, it takes time to totally heal the skin, kind of like two steps forward and one step back.  

We can't totally avoid ragweed and other naturally-occurring things, as mentioned by the other poster, but there is NO need for toxic artificial chemicals.  But most of the posters here understand this.

And as for peanut allergy, for the sake of discussion, I wonder if something is used to keep peanuts from molding. Peanuts and peanut butter have been a staple for generations. Now, it's a deadly problem for some people. What changed? 
Frequent Contributor

‎09-04-2016 09:36 AM

@Amarica and others interested in looking for alternative/safer products:

I realize that these are not cosmetic alternatives, but would fall under safer household ideas:

INSTEAD OF ROUNDUP -  Since we lost our dog to lymphoma in June, I have done a lot of reading about causes, etc.  The one thing that keeps popping up is RoundUp.  We are now using a mixture of one gallon vinegar, one carton of salt, a squirt of dish soap.  THIS WORKS!  DH mixes it in a pump lawn sprayer and away he goes.  Smiley Happy

INSTEAD OF INSECT YARD SPRAY (mosquitoes especially) -  One gallon of water, 8 ounces of neem oil, squirt of dish soap, sprayed through a hose sprayer.  Since using this, we have also not seen box elder bug, ants, or flies. 

We had a tech, that works for one of the "chemical" bug companies, tell us that he broadcasts diatamateous earth in the area where his dogs run and he has never had fleas.  This was in Florida.  It is cheap and worth a try.  You can also sprinkle this on your carpets!

Keep reading labels and sharing ideas!

ETERNITY.........have you thought about it??????

@tends2dogs First, I'm so, so sorry about your dog.  I had a Persian cat years ago, and the vet recommended a certain flea powder. She had a terrible reaction and began declining.  Not very long afterward, I lost her, too, and remain convinced to this day that the flea powder had something, if not everything, to do with it.  SO difficult to lose our pets.
Your recs for the herbicide and insecticide are great!!! Another thing I read is that ants don't like cinnamon oil.
You have great ideas!
Valued Contributor

Mantaraye, same thing happened to me.  Turned out it was the nail primer that the nail tech used prior to putting on the acrylic nails.  She had always used the same brand of primer but I guess at some point I developed an allergy.  Once we figured out what was causing the reaction, she switched me over to gel nails which don't need a nail primer.  HTH