Esteemed Contributor

If / When There Is A Vaccine, Will You Get It?

I think that I would get the shot.

Would you?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: If / When There Is A Vaccine, Will You Get It?

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I think that I would get the shot.

Would you?

They are asking for volunteers in our area to trest a new one.

Valued Contributor

Yes, definitely.  Just like I get the flu shot, tetanus boosters, and pneumonia shot I want to be protected.

Frequent Contributor

yes, why not?

Honored Contributor

No, not right away.  Lots could go worng.

Esteemed Contributor

No

Respected Contributor

Maybe eventually.  I will wait for the results of the " National Tirals" to see how it REALLY works first.

Trusted Contributor

I would get the vaccine.

During the flu season some years back (2009?)  a strain called H1N1 ( it was also called "swine flu") evolved and it was different than the flu people had been inoculated against. so H1N1 became pandemic and yet a vaccine was quickly developed,  tested, and distributed to help prevent people falling ill to the new strain, especially the following year. so lots of us who got a flu shot ALSO got a shot against H1N1 when the latter was very new.  I had complete confidence and I accepted being inoculated as routine protection. Many of my friends resisted even though swine flu was very dangerous. The vaccine was too new. Yet every year, flu shots are "new" in the sense that they develop the vaccine against anticipated strains for that season and hope a new strain doesn't break out that isn't included. So anyone taking a flu shot every year is getting the best guess of what's in the protection package for that particular year. And H1N1 is always included. It's no longer new!

Now it was easier to develop that new vaccine because it was a variant of the same flu which already had safe protection in place. Any new corona virus vaccine needs time to test for efficacy as well as undesirable side effects or unforeseen reactions. By the time it is developed, tested and released I am confident it will have very low risk of danger and high probability of protection. 

I take shots against diseases I would find dangerous (flu, tetanus, pneumonia) or uncomfortable (shingles) whenever something is available and copayment is none or reasonable. I don't go and look for shots to take against a low probability of exposure, but for common infections, I look to lower risk of disease and accept occasional side effects like a sore arm or the sniffles. .

Pandemic vaccines are tested worldwide and proven to have low risk before distribution, which is why it takes many months to become available.  I believe in modern science and laboratory methodology. I'll step up to take the shot when it's offered. 

Honored Contributor

I would not get the shot.  It would not help me if I did since I don't make antibodies, but even so, I would not get it when it first arrived on the scene.  There have been too many mistakes made with the flu shot.  For 3/5 years, the prediction was wrong.  Flu is predicted from what occurred in Asia and what they think will be the flu in western world in the upcoming cold season.  I have lost confidence in WHO and CDC in recent years.

Honored Contributor

Not right away.  I'd wait to see how others react to it.