Honored Contributor

Re: If / When There Is A Vaccine, Will You Get It?

I wish they could get one immediately and start testing it.  If they had one I would want to wait a bit to see how others reacted to it, but yes, of course, I would want to have the vaccine.! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I've had 2 flu shots and each time I had bad reactions to them--worst I've ever felt.  Since I don't get a regular flu shot, I don't think I'd want to try another type.

Honored Contributor

If you are talking about the Corona flu, I think by the time that they have perfected it (if they do) the flu crisis will be over.  No need for a vaccine.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I think that I would get the shot.

Would you?

They are asking for volunteers in our area to trest a new one.

I'd say no for the time being. I've participated in drug trials in the past and later when the drug(s) were approved and released. The scientists were searching for prevention and/or treatment of migraine headaches. I was in excellent health. I'm still in very good health but over sixty and somewhat susceptible to respiratory issues. I'm very conscientious about having boosters and flu shots, etc., but need to think about this one for a while.

Honored Contributor

They say it's two years away.  I probably will not get it immediately when it comes out.  It's a brand new virus and the vaccine researched is being fast tracked,  production will be fast tracked and no one will know what the risks of the vaccine are.  I would feel safer getting the virus then some vaccine that has no history.  Just as I would do with a brand new drug that became available, I would wait to see what the downside is.  

Esteemed Contributor

I heard it’s about one year away.  They can’t offer it without a trial first.

Esteemed Contributor

No.  By the time they make it available it will have mutated to a different strain.  That is why I never get the flu shot.  They are always a year behind.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

No.

If I were to contract COVID, I'd most likely recover--as do the overwhelming majority of those who contract it. 

I never got the Swine flu vaccine, either, and I avoided that and all of its variants. Same with seasonal flu--I've never had it, never gotten a vaccine, and those I've known who have had the flu, have recovered.

Flu vaccines also don't offer certain protection from the flu. Far from it. From the CDC's ongoing seasonal Vaccine Effectiveness Study:

Screenshot_2020-03-07-08-48-01(1).png

Still, especially for those at high risk of developing complications, seasonal flu vaccines can be a wise choice, as with any new COVID vaccine under development.  It's an individual choice.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

NO.  Definitely not.  I'm wondering if the so-called 'treatments' the victims have gotten in the hospitals isn't what's responsible for the upturn in deaths from a flu.  A supposedly mild flu at that.  Gotta make you wonder.  Woman Frustrated

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

Last year, I started taking a new, monthly migraine shot, which my neurologist insisted had no side effects. When I say new, this shot had not been around all that long. I felt like I was having certain side effects. The dr switched me to another migraine shot after several months, also had been out around a year, that supposedly has NO side effects. That shot most certainly did have side effects, I never took it again and they went away. I am now back on the first one, as these side effects are better than migraines I was having more days than not with no shot. 

All that to say, no I probably wouldn't take the shot. If I was elderly, had underlying health issues I might. I am in my early 50's. I don't think I'd take the shot. I honestly don't think they always know about potential side effects.