Honored Contributor

Re: If This Is How You Picture The Desert

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Um............they didn't mention  that some of those "wildflowers" are   WEEDS blooming after the heavy rains.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm a glass half full person because I don't automatically think of wildflowers as "weeds". Technically they are because they are not cultivated plants, but I choose to focus on the beauty they display in the spring.

I live in the desert too and all the mountains and hills around me look very much like the California picture.  Green, green, green with spots of color.  It's going to be a spectacular spring.

I am loving my walks this year!  Even though it was a tough winter, and I had torrential rain, many power outages, and one evacuation....it's all going to fade from my memory as we move into the spring with all the lush greenery everywhere, and a profusion of wildflowers.

Esteemed Contributor

Mojave Desert Photo

Mojave Desert Wildflowers

Photo of Mojave Desert

Mojave Desert Sunset

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

These look like the poppy fields that bloom every year near Lancaster CA.  The hills are on fire with poppies....extraordinary sight!

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Mojave Desert Photo

Mojave Desert Wildflowers

Photo of Mojave Desert

Mojave Desert Sunset

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I've lived in Arizona all my life and never heard of Goatheads. I been spraying weed killer every weekend to keep ahead of the weeds and out of my rock. (We don't have grass in either the back or front yard) 

@Meowingkitty @Desertdi  Funny we'd have these things and you don't.  We fight them all summer.  Want Some? Yes, it's about time to mix up the first of many batches of Roundup. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd They remind me of the Bluebonnets in Texas.  I don't think anyplace is prettier than the Texas countryside this time of year... Bluebonnets mixed with Indian Paintbrush. 

download (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

I have family in El Paso and have visited there at various times of the year. It never looks like the picture of the flowers when I'm there - always just barren and arid.I could never live there.

Esteemed Contributor

I picture the desert as the top picture. At any rate, it looks nice on pictures or from a plane. However, I would never drive across a desert with nothing around. I would worry the car would break down and I'd be stranded in extreme heat. Another words that desert is too secluded for me. lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

I grew up on a farm in Arizona and remember all too well the pain from stepping on goathead stickers.  We had bunches of them....in southeastern Arizona.  Not sure if they grow in other parts of the state.

goathead.jpg

Trusted Contributor

This is near Peridot Mesa, Arizona

peridot-mesa-wildflowers-1 copy.jpg

Honored Contributor

@151949  El Paso is not Bluebonnets country.  They grow in Central and East Texas where there is adequate rainfall.  El Paso is in the Chichihuan Desert.  Well, at least they don't have alligators or boa constrictors, just good old American rattlesnakes.