Honored Contributor

800,000 without power in the mitten

We had a very bad wind that blew through Mi on Wed ,during the day. Lots of trees and wires are down ,along with light poles.  We are still without power

I am online  because we have a generator. Luckily for us the temps aren't too bad outside.

They have sent crews from 6 states to help, and are working 18 hr days ,to get everyone back to normal.  They said by Sunday night they hope to have 90% of electricity restored

My husband wired our generator into our furnace so the house was warm enough today ,to bathe and wash my hair. I felt so grungy yesterday. A bath and a fresh hairdo works wonders. One day without a bath/shampoo is about all I can stand

We have been eating out and the restaurants are packed with people who are  unable to cook. Times like this I wish I had a gas stove.

Comcast brought in a generator, so people can have cable and internet.  Not all the streets in my area are affected, with the power outage, but the cable and internet blacked out for all of us

We are lucky this didn't happen during the really cold weather. We have a couple of fireplaces, and they helped a bit, but they really don't  give out the kind of heat you need, to warm a home

Yesterday ,we watched a marathon of my, Pie in the Sky, British detective show. Today thanks to Comcast's generator, and our's ,we have our cable back again. This is the worst power outage  in 100 years , for us

Respected Contributor

Re: 800,000 without power in the mitten

Stay safe and warm!  Here in Indiana we're going to miss the next snow storm - it will dive south into Kentucky - but Monday I think we get some snow - winter's not over yet!

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I am confused at your headline

In the Mitten

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I opened the thread to see what in the mitten was.  I guess in Michigan?

Honored Contributor

We call  lower peninsula Mi ,the mitten because of it's shape. The mitten only refers to the lower peninsula. The upper peninsula is always called the U.P.

Regular Contributor

I am in the northern lower part of the mitten, have power but some of the surronding areas didnt.  Stay safe and warm  March certainly has come in like a lion, so maybe it will go out like a lamb for us Michiganders

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We call  lower peninsula Mi ,the mitten because of it's shape. The mitten only refers to the lower peninsula. The upper peninsula is always called the U.P.

Thanks, never heard that before.  But then I don't live in Michigan Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad your dh got your generator wired to the furnace. That sounds like quite a wind storm. We have had some storms in the last 3 weeks, too. But, nothing like you.

We have a generator too, and I love it. We don't need it often (I live in Arkansas), but when we do need it, I always feel so blessed to have it.

Stay safe and I pray everything is back to normal soon.

Trusted Contributor

I am in west central Michigan. Our power flickered off about 5 times throughout the day Wednesday, but it came back on every time. I sure hope that your power comes back on soon. It's very cold today & is going to stay cold for the entire next week. Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

We had that wind here in NE Ohio too.  There are still a few thousand people without power, and it's supposed to drop into the teens tonight.  I wasn't one of the unlucky ones, the lines where I live are underground, so it usually has to be a huge areawide problem for it to go out here.  Living in an all-electric condo, it would be pretty difficult to have a generator here.

Laura loves cats!