Honored Contributor

Re: IRS sent stimulus money to a non-U.S. citizen from u.K.

@chickenbone wrote:

California giving 75 million to illegals.

@chickenbone 

Heard half is state money. Guess it's up to the people in that state to let their head know how they feel.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

Let me see if I understand the problem correctly.

She has an American social security number.

She filed an American federal tax return.

She has an American bank account.

There is no place on a federal tax return where one certifies they are an American citizen.

A computer followed its instructions and issued a stimulus check based on the recipient having an American social security number, filing an American federal tax return, having an American bank account to receive refunds.

Guess certifying the taxpayer is an American citizen on tax returns will be the answer.  (see original census data proposal and subsequent court ruling)

@Marp    I agree, she met all the criteria to receive the payment.  She said she felt others needed it more than she, presuming it's issuance was based on need, which it is not.  Had nothing to do with need.  It's purpose is to get people spending to stimulate the economy.  As long as she's here and working legally, citizenship should not be an issue.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@chiclets 

Last I heard my SS comes under the heading of "entitlements"! 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

There is no place on a federal tax return where one certifies they are an American citizen.

A computer followed its instructions and issued a stimulus check based on the recipient having an American social security number, filing an American federal tax return, having an American bank account to receive refunds.

Guess certifying the taxpayer is an American citizen on tax returns will be the answer.  (see original census data proposal and subsequent court ruling)

I guess I don't see the reason for the upset either. She met the criteria to receive a payment and received one. 

We have a family member who isn't a US citizen. She's legally lived in the US since she was a small child. She has a SSN, a job, and pays taxes. Is she supposed to be denied the payment merely because she's not become a US citizen? It seems that many people here think so. How terribly sad, and even sadder, how terribly typical of the Q boards. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3  I got you. Some people seem to forget that the so called illigal aliens pay taxes or i should say that a lot of people don´t know about this fact.

Honored Contributor

Not sure where the outrage comes from. She did nothing wrong. 

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1  as long as your relative pays taxes, she qualifies.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1  as long as your relative pays taxes, she qualifies.

Umm, yes. I'm well aware of that. I wasn't asking if she would be eligible.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Marp 

not everyone living here legally is an american citizen.

@sunshine45,  of course not but the computers issuing the checks don't know if someone is a citizen or not, is legal or not, is alive or not.  They only know to do what they have been told to do which is to issue checks under particular criteria.  If the criteria for issuing a check is met the computer will issue it whether the individual is entitled to a check or not.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a couple of tax pros as friends and their blood pressure is never going to recover.

Go look the applicable sections.  Very, very sloppy wordings.  And then the database deficiency was world class.