Respected Contributor

IRS Will Require Selfie Photo To Access Tax Records

This will start at some point during the summer. You will still be able to submit your tax return with no photo. But everything else....

I'm not feeling good about this.

Respected Contributor

Re: IRS Will Require Selfie Photo To Access Tax Records

Big brother is watching more and more.

Respected Contributor

"The news has prompted an outcry from privacy advocates, who have warned the practice is invasive and that the IRS is opening the doors to potential data breaches."

The decision "will only lead to further ruin for Americans when their data is inevitably breached," Jackie Singh, director of technology and operations at the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, wrote on Twitter. She called the practice "very bad," and called on every "tech-aware American to fight it."

Honored Contributor

My accountant files my return electronically on my behalf.  How willl I be able to attach a selfie......if I even knew how?!!!

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette  No selfies needed for returns. Must have to access tax records online.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it's the government and I shouldn't ask stupid questions but is there a reason they can't just access and attach your passport, driver's license photo or state id to make sure the person submitting the selfie is you?

I want to say I have had to give my DL number for certain tax forms but it's been a year so I can't 100% swear to it. And passports and state ids have our smiling faces as well.

Either way, the IRS has what they need since most of us have our photos on file with them or in the state we live. And we all don't look the same from 20-100 so how often do we update it?

And how many snaps do I get? I want to make sure I look good and have proper lighting when I submit mine. I might be bending over in my selfie too since I want to be sure I assume the correct pose for paying taxes.  

Honored Contributor

I have never taken a selfie. Don't own a smart phone either.

Trusted Contributor

There are several articles clarifying this if you google. This only applies to people using the IRS online system to check their accounts or order transcripts online.

Most taxpayers will never use it.

When you sign up with ID.me, the first step to online access, THEY take your picture right over the phone or computer thru their app.

it's called facial recognition for identification.

Respected Contributor

Ridiculous.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered political