Regular Contributor

What is the oldest item in your wardrobe?

After reading the oldest item in the kitchen thread I thought it would be fun to list the oldest item in our wardrobes. Mine is a Sears black parka that is about 25 years old. I ditched the hood years ago and use it for a winter jacket now. It is a brushed fabric from their classic elements line. What older item lurks among your wardrobe items?

Respected Contributor

Re: What is the oldest item in your wardrobe?

My 8th grade graduation dress from 1969.  I just loved it so much I have kept it all these years.

The Romeo and Juliet movie with Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting was so popular at that time and it is a Juliet dress.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I donated the formals I wore to chaperone the hs prom where I taught, soooooo, it would be the dress slacks I wore at Belk when I worked there.  I just don't want to go in there and weed them out!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a black wool coat that is at least 20 years old.  The style is timeless and though I don't wear it often , it is the warmest thing I own.  I bought it from QVC.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@redbird wrote:

After reading the oldest item in the kitchen thread I thought it would be fun to list the oldest item in our wardrobes. Mine is a Sears black parka that is about 25 years old. I ditched the hood years ago and use it for a winter jacket now. It is a brushed fabric from their classic elements line. What older item lurks among your wardrobe items?

@redbird 25 years that's impressive that you still wear it.  For me 25 years ago was before I had children and I will never be that size or shape again so clothes from that long ago are long gone. 

Valued Contributor

I have a beautiful, cream lace two piece dress from Jessica McClintock that I wore as Mother of the Bride when my middle daughter was married 35 years ago. It's got a full skirt and a lacy high neck top, all lined in cream silk.

I can't part with it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am kind of the opposite of those who like to keep items In their closet for sentimental  reasons or the I may need this some day so I will keep just in case theory.  If anything, I am too quick on tossing stuff.  I believe that the oldest items I have are 3 Bob Mackie silk scarves, I guess they are about 15 years old.  After that, would be a few Linea things; a couple of blouses and 1 pant.

Esteemed Contributor

Does the blue garter that I wore on my wedding day count?  Since I worked at a dog tag engraving co. it's engraved with our first names and 03/14/1970.  My dh still laughs everytime he sees it.  It's in my lingerie drawer.  

Glenda  

Honored Contributor

I got a good one ladies! A straw handbag that I received as a birthday gift when I was in 6th grade. It's brand new in the box, never used! So, I was 12 years old and now I am 70! What and why am I still saving it ???. I do believe it is one of the oldest items I own! 

No photo description available.

Respected Contributor

In the 1950's my father was in the navy and sent gifts to me and my mother from wherever he went. I still have a couple of things that I received when I was four years old in 1951. From Japan, I

have beautiful turquoise blue silk pajamas with embroidery.

From Mexico, I have a hand painted circular cotton skirt. In the design is my name in Spanish, Donita. Also from Mexico, I have

a green wool jacket with embroidered Mexican motifs. I have never been able to part with these things.