Contributor

Re: IRS Will Require Selfie Photo To Access Tax Records

[ Edited ]

My concern is that the IRS is already saying 2022 will be a nightmare and due to covid, they are way behind with the previous year's filings.  And the number of IRS employees hasn't been increased even though the tax filers population has increased. I think its the wrong time to add this facial identity requirement which will cause even more unanswered phone calls to the IRS.  Many of us have IRS payment arrangements and  access the website monthly to make  our payments. I wish more IRS employees could be hired to audit the returns of the rich who aren't paying their fair share of taxes.

Esteemed Contributor

How does the IRS know what you look like? 

Respected Contributor

Users must provide ID.me with an email address, Social Security number, photo ID and take a selfie with a camera that will scan the user's face to verify their identity.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like people here are going crazy over what the OP posted when all the facts are not there.

Honored Contributor

Gee, I wonder what they'll do in the case of twins or people who just look alike?  Seems like a very inexact method of identification.  Also there are still millions who don't own cell phones.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I imagine most people who don't own smart phones are unlikely to need to access their records and returns from the IRS directly.

Respected Contributor

The IRS is implementing 3rd party biometric data collection of American faces and voices to access their own tax data, including the child tax credit portal which provides the status of these payments.

IRS trying to fight fraud so they're forcing Americans who want to get tax data from the IRS online to submit biometric data in the form of a selfie (to a third-party company) to verify themselves. This is very, very bad, and every tech-aware American should fight it..

~ Jackie Singh, director of technology and operations at the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project. / on twitter

Contributor

Makes me wonder if the multi millionaire Blake Hall, the ex-military dude who created this ID.me system, pays all of his fair share of his taxes.     Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Is there any way our pictures could be used in the future to prevent a hacker from getting a refund we were expecting?      That's the only reason I would bother uploading a picture.

Respected Contributor

Has anyone used an IDme system? This means whenever I want to access my tax records my computer camera will be activated for a comparison. What if it doesn't recognize me as a match? Does anyone here currently have some other kind of account that requires online digital facial recognition? 

I also think there's a difference between getting my photo taken for my driver's license or passport with a neutral background and having my living room in the background.