Honored Contributor

I think i had to take one for grade school. I know I had to take some kind of speciality test. This was 60 years or so ago

Respected Contributor

I don't ever remember taking or being told it was a  specific IQ test, but once in high school my friend and I snuck into the teacher's office to look at our grades.  There was a column in the book with everyone's IQs.  Our IQs were both exactly the same.  

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I don't ever remember taking or being told it was a  specific IQ test, but once in high school my friend and I snuck into the teacher's office to look at our grades.  There was a column in the book with everyone's IQs.  Our IQs were both exactly the same.  

Doesn't it seem like that information should have been shared with the students and their parents? Nowadays, I don't think the school could hold that kind of information hostage. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden.   You very well could have had an IQ test and not even have known it.  Kids have always taken so many achievement tests, how could a child discern one from another?  I would swear I never took one but my mom said I did.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

The school I went to made everyone take it.  I have taken several of them through my school years.  Parents were told the scores.  No matter what the score, it is what each individual does with their life that counts.  

Honored Contributor

I’m sure I took one but I don’t remember.

Respected Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

Doesn't it seem like that information should have been shared with the students and their parents? Nowadays, I don't think the school could hold that kind of information hostage. 

I never would have known if we hadn't seen it in the grade book, so they didn't share it.  I remember when we took the standardized tests, our parents got a printout showing in which percentile we scored.  I didn't get even that for my kids.

Honored Contributor

Most students are given group placement tests, achievement tests and aptitude tests at certain intervals. Formal intelligence quotient (IQ) tests are generally administered individually and for a specific purpose. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Nope.  I never took one and I never even considered it.  I'm pretty sure I have normal intelligence and that's all I've ever needed.  I do think that I have a higher than average work ethic and I am thankful for that. 

Honored Contributor

I think when I was in school we were given IQ and apptitude tests and then due to the results kids were placed in certain programs like advance placement or were not placed into certain programs. I recall my brother , who showed a strong apptitude for music being placed in programs pertaining to music.He never persued music for a career but always as his hobby.He could play several instruments.