Honored Contributor

I’m not on Facebook and am noticing “follow on Instagram”. Can anyone teach me, non-techie, how do I sign up or sign on, what is the purpose of “accounts”, not sure I’d “follow” people, just want to see what this is and if it’s something I’d like. 

Thanks, Ladies.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus @I have also been wondering about Instagram.I hope someone can explain it to us.I think it might be a loss of privacy though so I haven’t tried to sign on.I too am not tech  savvy and worry about getting hacked.

Honored Contributor

L.o.v.e Instragram!

Just download the app & setting up an account is easy.

If you follow someone who posts, you’ll see their posts.

If they produce a quick InstaStory, you’ll see that, as well.

You can comment, if you choose, or just watch.

After following several accounts, you’ll get suggestions and

you can follow more, if you choose.  It’s really what interests you.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Shanus @I have also been wondering about Instagram.I hope someone can explain it to us.I think it might be a loss of privacy though so I haven’t tried to sign on.I too am not tech  savvy and worry about getting hacked.

@dex   I canceled FB because I couldn’t get my “privacy” issues corrected...which posts from who I wanted to see and who was seeing mine. I even had a book FACEBOOK FOR DUMMIES. I was receiving friend requests from folks I’ve never heard of, pages of political jokes and comments, etc. I didn’t get how to block this out. I’m hoping Instagram is easier.

I’m loving Pinterest, BTW.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

L.o.v.e Instragram!

Just download the app & setting up an account is easy.

If you follow someone who posts, you’ll see their posts.

If they produce a quick InstaStory, you’ll see that, as well.

You can comment, if you choose, or just watch.

After following several accounts, you’ll get suggestions and

you can follow more, if you choose.  It’s really what interests you.

@sidsmom   Hi. I assume I go somewhere to download the app & set up account? Is it similar to Pinterest? I’m noticing many tv shows, catalogs, etc. mention “follow us on Instagram”.

Honored Contributor

You can go to someone's public Instagram page and see what it's all about.

Every celebrity, every TV show, every retail store most likely has an IG.  

You can keep your profile private and comment or Like other posts.   It's very simple.  

Honored Contributor

Re: INSTAGRAM 101

[ Edited ]

@Shanus,  Please remember that Facebook owns and operates Instagram, so if you're wary of Facebook security and privacy (and you're very wise to be so!) then keep the same close scrutiny with Instagram.   

I have an account that I decided to only use with the "full desktop" browser, which is limited use...  no mobile app (I would never, ever use any of the Facebook apps), because they tend to be far more invasive.   If you download and use the mobile app to get the full benefits, please read the permissions very carefully and keep up with the updates and changes they make.   

To get the "gist" of how people use Instagram, you might want to take a look at some of the "Instagram for beginners" videos online.    You don't need to register for your own account, or sign in, to view public accounts, by the way.   Enjoy!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: INSTAGRAM 101

[ Edited ]

Yay! I did it! I now have an Instagram account. I watched a few Bobbi Brown videos to start me off.....

One question: On my IPAD, the photos/videos are sideways. Any way to turn it around? Mine doesn’t “stand up” in that direction.

Honored Contributor

i enjoy using and viewing instagram daily.

lots of great photos on everything!

you can follow who you want......friends, family, celebs, politicians, pundits

you can unfollow them easily anytime.

you can follow hashtags of your favorite subjects #qvc #usa #spring2019 #vacation

you can make your account as open or as private as you want.

greart for personal or business use, great for causes.

easy to set up on your phone or tablet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Yay! I did it! I now have an Instagram account. I watched a few Bobbi Brown videos to start me off.....

One question: On my IPAD, the photos/videos are sideways. Any way to turn it around? Mine doesn’t “stand up” in that direction.

I don't have an iPad, but there should be something in your settings about orientation or rotation.  ?