Honored Contributor

I got a couple of masks from a friend who got them from a local woman who is making them.  And a few more from a woman on Etsy who makes them.  One very pretty one from an American maker.  And several from Los Angeles Apparel Co. (made in the US).

You don't have to buy ones made in China.

Honored Contributor

Aren't most fabrics and textiles made in China? Just because a homemade mask is made in the US doesn't mean every component is made in the US. 

Esteemed Contributor

You could look locally, some teens are sewing for charity.  But the fabric, thread and elastic could be imported.

Or see if you can still get your cotton planted.

Honored Contributor

Getting masks from China doesn't bother me. I wash masks prior to using. I would wash it before first use even if my next door neighbor made it.

Honored Contributor
@ID2. Some people want nothing to do with Facebook.
Contributor

I ordered 50 disposable masks for each of our kids and found out later they were shipped from China.  The order was placed on April 6 and we still don't have the masks.  The order was from Amazon.  This is ridiculous.  So I made masks and sent them to each of them to at least have something until the masks arrive...if ever!  I'm even concerned about having them use them now that I know where they came from.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Auntie CC wrote:

I ordered 2 cute masks from Zullily. No indication where they originated. Just received notice they were shipped. THEY ARE COMING FROM CHINA!! Guess the jokes on me. I'm sick to death of feeling like I've been taken for a ride from online shopping.

@Auntie CC  If you want made in America look on Etsy...go to USA shops and you'll find handmade masks.

yes, or buy local......so many local sellers in our area selling masks on facebook or nextdoor.

of course, the fabric and materials used are probably from china. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I've seen someone on one of the groups I visit, who is making and selling

the masks. My concern is with the copyright and trademark infringemts in

sports logos that she is using.

Respected Contributor

Wow. I'm looking at directions for pleated masks, and it says you can get 12 to 15 masks from one yard of fabric. I'm assuming that's 44/45" width. That's a lot of masks from what's often just $3 to $5 a yard. I know that the thread and hard-to-find elastic add to the materials cost, but the most expensive component is the labor. I wonder how fast a person could churn out masks if he or she had some practice.

If I were a seamstress with lots of connections in my community, I'd set up a custom mask operation. The customer supplies the fabric and I'd create the masks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

Wow. I'm looking at directions for pleated masks, and it says you can get 12 to 15 masks from one yard of fabric. I'm assuming that's 44/45" width. That's a lot of masks from what's often just $3 to $5 a yard. I know that the thread and hard-to-find elastic add to the materials cost, but the most expensive component is the labor. I wonder how fast a person could churn out masks if he or she had some practice.

If I were a seamstress with lots of connections in my community, I'd set up a custom mask operation. The customer supplies the fabric and I'd create the masks. 

@noodleann  $3 to $5 a yard?  IIRC more than that when I bought fabric many, many years ago. At that price I'd bet made in China. 

Keepin' it real.