Honored Contributor

Geneology, is anyone doing this now?

Amid all this hustle and bustle, (ha!)  It's crossed my mind on a few things.

Anyone doing this now?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Geneology, is anyone doing this now?

I tried it, and found out I'm not really interested in it.  But seems a lot of people really enjoy doing it. 

Respected Contributor

I started a family tree a couple of years ago before a family reunion. I really just wanted something to show the younger generation who their forebears (my grandparents and great-grandparents) were. I didn't want to spend a lot of time or money on it. Once I started, I found out that a cousin's wife was really into genealogy, so I let her take up the reins. She did an excellent job! She had already developed a family tree for her mother's family and had access to resources that I wasn't interested in subscribing to. Most of the genealogy software packages have free trial periods or free versions that allow you to see how you like it. If you find out that you're really into it, you can subscribe to get more in-depth access to historical records. If not, you haven't made a commitment. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Just as a hobby.  I think it's interesting.  I just call myself a Heinz 57 American because there are a lot of different countries with my ancestors.  One thing I did find out was that my dad's family was in America before the revolution.  Family Search is a good site because it is free and it link to Billion Graves so that if your ancestor's grave stone has been transcribed and linked, you can see their actual gravestone.

Honored Contributor

I found it to be very frustrating, almost everything leads you back to Ancestry and you can't see very much unless you pay for a subscription.

Respected Contributor

My 13 yr old grandson recently expressed interest (his aunt & cousins were doing it)  so I bought him an Ancestry DNA kit for Easter.  It's quite fun and interesting.  So much so that I bought one for my husband for his birthday next month and got one for myself.  They're kind of expensive but Ancestry often has good sales - I got mine $50 off the regular price of $99.  I'm going to buy one for my DIL next - probably for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not now.  Both my parents have been done.  Have done a bit of dabbling in the past, then was notified by a relative who did extensive research way back to 1260 on my father's side.  Compiled all his findings including photos into a book.  Fascinating.

Another relative did my mother's side to 1488.  

Both traveled to Europe to complete them. Lots of photos of ancestors.  

Esteemed Contributor

DD was, but the tree started losing branches, so she stopped. 

Afraid we had some inter marrying going on.

She studied it in school, not as detailed as what she was looking at recently on the ancestry sites. She did find back then where moms family goes back to some royoal folks way back in the day. 

It is very interesting. You just never know what you will find though. 

Valued Contributor

I have been doing Geneology for many years. The things you find out are very interesting to say the very least Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure why, but it just hasn't interested me at all.