Honored Contributor

Re: I really dislike traveling

I hate to drive somewhere. DH hates to fly. So we have an issue. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

We flew to Nashville in May and both want to go back but he wants to drive and I want to fly again.

He has a terrible time with his ears from flying and nothing he does has helped. He has chewed gum, taken a decongestant and bought earplanes ear plugs that some people swore by but it doesn't help. By the time the pain and pressure go away, it's time to fly back home.

Honored Contributor

We hate to travel anywhere!! We are happy in our house in the country. Most places are the same all over and if we really want to see something we can get a video.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I also am not a traveler. I love my husband and daughters dearly, but absolutely do not enjoy traveling with them. I have done road trips with girlfriends and have not enjoyed those either. I can drive myself wherever I need to go and am fine, but I don't enjoy being in a car with anyone else on a trip. Took a chartered bus trip once; was miserable, and thought it would never end. Not interested in flying anywhere, nor traveling by train. I just like to be home, but love for my family to travel without me!
Honored Contributor

I like local get-aways. Spending a week or so at a nice, fairly nearby resort. No need for the stress of air travel. Just relax, relax. You can inspect the rooms ahead of time, making sure that they aren't sprayed with harsh chemical odors. Choose the 'right' hotel/resort/etc. for you. I love local everything. .......... BTW, I traveled much of the world when I was younger and it was more relaxing in those days. Enjoyed it all. I find that watching travel programs such as Rick Steves (and others) reminds me of my experiences. Also, I enjoy listening and learning to/about the history behind the architecture and various tourist spots. Often times, the travel program/videos are taken from the air, so we are able to view beautiful castles and countryside from above, which is what I missed traveling by train/auto/bus/etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I enjoy traveling. However, it does become more and more exhausting every year. If it is just DH and I, it is fine...although I am always happy to get back home. If we take my mother with us, it is a real struggle, as she needs to use a wheelchair at the airport. There are never enough wheelchairs available...even though we request them in advance on every leg of our trip.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

I always hated to travel even when I was young and healthy. I was never lured by faraway places. I remember when a friend would come back from an exotic place and would have tons of photos which, to me, looked exactly the same as postcards.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

I usually return from travel totally exhausted and have to recuperate from the trip. That starts at the trip to the airport and the many check stations. What a hassle. On top of that I hate flying itself.

Super Contributor

I am a traveler. Always have been. Started traveling to Europe in my 40's, starting with England and renting a car and driving all over. So glad I did that then, because I can't imagine doing it now. It would be way too hard. Eventually, the independent travel changed and I started doing the river ships in Europe and I love that. I will say that I do hate to fly now. From the long lines through security to the tiny seats on the plane, that has put a damper on it. But I have some wonderful memories, and great pictures, of some fabulous places.
Esteemed Contributor

I think more of you should stay home. It would allow more airline flight choices and possibly cheaper airfare for me.
Honored Contributor

I like to travel, but I have never liked traveling to more or less sit someplace and go out to eat at the end of the day. I'm with OP, travel is too much hassle for me to do that.

I do like to travel to see places that interest me, to see museums in person rather than on TV, to experience people from other places, etc.

While I can't imagine doing it the same way today now that I'm in my 70's and don't have a steady companion, I loved the years my ex and I got to see almost every state in our country, the years I was able to join with my friends to travel to other countries, and now, the days I get in a car and drive to interesting destinations within a day or two of home.

Some years back when a financial advisor thought I should adjust my future plans to eliminate a travel budget, his target for that downsizing was when I turn 80. Dare I hope he was too pessimistic?