Honored Contributor

My sister died in 1960. It's hard for me to imagine having something of hers.

However, shortly before Mom passed (6 yrs ago), she asked who the little girl was in the corner. I believe it was my sister coming to help Mom on her new journey. That's more comforting than things.

Dad just died at Christmas. All siblings took some things while cleaning out his house. I'm having a hard time letting go of things. I decided to donate most for those who don't have what they need. I'd rather they were helpful to others, even if for a short time, than sit in a box in my basement.

Honored Contributor

I would agree with framing the smaller items.  

I have a shadow box of some of my husband's baby clothes.  They stay preserved and dust free behind glass.

Since you have other siblings, perhaps each could receive a piece of clothing.  And the items stay in their original form as opposed to a quilt or stuffed animal.

Occasional Contributor

I don't know how large the items are, but I like the framing idea. When my grandkids were babies, I had their footprints inked onto ties (blue for grandson and pink for granddaughter) and framed for both my husband and my son-in-law for father's day.  It was their favorite gift. I know that having something framed can be expensive, but these are very important and meaningful items to you.  If there are one or two things that can lay flat, maybe take them to a reputable framing place and get an estimate.  Then you would be able to see them in your home. My ties with the little footprints make me smile every time I look at them.

Honored Contributor

I understand, there are things in my family that I hate to get rid of.  But no family members want them.  But I cant bring myself to throw them away.  I really like the idea of the memory bears.  I also like the quilt idea.  I have often thought of having a small end stand type of table built putting some material on the top and then having it glassed in and the table passed down through the family.  I guess after Im gone what the family does with the things would not affect me.

Hope I explained the clearly.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the quilt idea.  It's something you can use and doesn't take up too much space.  I'm as sentimental as the next person but I just can't have boxes of "stuff" laying around or being stored, for what?   You can't enjoy them that way.  At least a quilt can be used or hung on a pretty quilt rack to display. 

I also like your table idea @Imaoldhippie , very creative.

Honored Contributor

At this point in time, after your mom is gone only you or your other siblings ,would have meaning of the items, i would just box them up,and keep them,i don't think donating them would be what i would do.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I lost my brother in 2/21.  Christmas of that year my aunt gave me a quilt of several of his shirts and of his khaki pants. The shirts were button down and all in different colors of plaid. His usual weekend wear.  When I opened up the quilt I cried almost as much as the day I was told he was gone.  The quilt sits at the foot of my bed ever since.

The quilt would be lovely and could be passed on.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@spumoni99actually there was a lock of my brothers hair in moms cedar chest. We placed that lock of hair over moms heart before she was buried. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you, I do not think another child can use the items from 1952. The snow suit in particular is heavy. There were not water resistant, warm, light textiles then. My nephew and his wife are having a baby boy soon and I thought maybe they could use the items but then thought not. 

There is a beach hat with his name on it that I personally want to keep.