Esteemed Contributor

I've seen where people make little bears from the clothing. 

Respected Contributor

Re: I need opinions

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@conlt ,

It's always so sad when a little one dies so young.

Unless it would make you sad, a quilt is a beautiful idea.

A church I used to go to gave donations to a single parent group.

I think honoring any lost loved one that way would make me feel good that these things were given to another young child.

Please do not donate these items. They are 70 year old items.  No one wants 70 year old baby clothes unless its a christening gown that means something to the family. All youd be doing is letting someone else at the donation station  throw them out.

I dont mean to sound callus. I am as semtimental as they come. I have my moms ice sksting outfit from 1939 that her mom made her. Im sure it will get thrown out by someone when i die ( i have no kids, not sure if it will be nephew who will have to deal or not. 

i have that outfit because my mom who kept VERY little, kept that and i know the story. 

I am sorry about your loss. If you want to keep a couple of things and maybe get rid of some items that did not age well, do so. But only do so if you want to. Your mom is no longer here, she wont be claiming them again.  Just like when people who lose things in a fire, they learn to live without them. You cant take your memories away.

@LizzieInSRQ   To the contrary, I watch a number of "thrifting" type videos wherein the person shopping is looking for vintage items for art projects or to clean up and repair then resell.

Others end up keeping the vintage items and display in their home.  This is big for those that love "shabby chic."

Please don't think vintage items are not wanted.  There is a big market for vintage and antique.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

I disagree about no one wanting them. 

A snowsuit, sweater, hat if in good condition

can be used no matter what decade.

If you've ever been a single parent or dirt poor, clothes that are in good condition and warm are treasures.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Due to the age of the clothing, I would contact someone who makes memory bears, and have them transform the pieces into a keepsake for those of you who want one.  

My cousin makes memory bears for people out of shirts, jackets, wedding dresses, etc.  

Respected Contributor

@conlt  I definitely would not donate the items due to their age. However, as was mentioned if there are enough items it might be nice to have either a small quilt made for each of your remaining siblings so everyone could have a memory. If that doesn't work and if enough items you could make small shadow boxes for each of your siblings. This way you are not holding on to all of it and your whole family has the keepsake.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need opinions

[ Edited ]

My step daugher's mom's husband passed away and she had bears made from a couple of his shirts. they were nicely made.

I guess who ever would make the bear would take pieces from each outfit and make a patchwork like covering for the bear.  That way each outfit that was saved would have a place on the bear.

Hopefully there is enough fabric for each sibling to get a bear..depending on the finished size.

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles   Your idea is beautiful and one I've not known.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I would just keep them unless you really think you'll use or display a quilt. They probably don't take up any more room than a quilt. 

Honored Contributor

a quilt is a nice idea.

lately, around our area, i have seen that memory bears are quite popular. you take a favorite item or items that someone may have used or worn and have a teddy bear made out of them. you could have a few made for other members of the family.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

@SandySparkles   Your idea is beautiful and one I've not known.

@Spacrazy Thank you!🥰

~~~All we need is LOVE💖