Honored Contributor

Re: I’m an old woman and tired…

I hope I don’t stop having hopes and dreams. So much a want to do and so many places yet to go. I’m a bit younger - 50s. Best decision I ever made was making a late career change to nursing, despite my sometimes frustrations.
Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@caroln242 wrote:

I like the saying made by Bette Davis:  "Getting old is not for sissies."

Boy, was she right!

@caroln242  I would take getting old over my teen into early 20's years ANY DAY. 

I would never go back to my teens!  My early 20s were interesting though.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Malcontent   I can relate.  The other day I had a thought...I am enough.  I love who I am.  I don't have to pretend anything.  If you enjoy my company, great.  If you don't, I'm still the same person and that's ok.  My dreams were in the future, I am in the present.  All I have is this moment, and that can change quickly.  I appreciate this very moment.

I have strategies if I'm feeling tired.  Tired...how?  Physically,  I rest, meditate, enjoy nature.  Pandemic?  I keep myself/family healthy....diet, sleep, exercise.  I have a strong spiritual base.  Culturally?  I dial down the news and conversations.  I intentionally work on being light understanding that others too might be sharing my concern for our country's future.  Age?  I rarely think about it.  I do all that I can to stay healthy on a physical, emotional, and spiritual level.  I take time to reflect, be silent and that includes stilling my monkey mind.  I read inspiring books.  Acceptance has become easier...I allow myself my feelings knowing that everything changes, but at this moment this is how I feel.  I respect my feelings and allow myself to feel tired (or hurt/in pain etc.) without judgement.

Nature heals and refreshes our sense of well-being.  This is evidence based research.  You don't have to hike a marathon in the woods to reap the benefits.  Even a picnic in a park can lift one's spirit.

Life is not easy.  I believe that we are here to grow and learn lessons in order to evolve.  I look at each challenge as a life lesson.  Every moment is precious and I know that perspective is everything.  Sometimes, when things are bleak...I will challenge myself to see it differently.  I love art and music and it lifts my spirit.

Just know that many can relate to your statement.... we have choices, we can choose gratitude.  We can make changes or practice acceptance.  I'm wishing you much joy and peace.

Gratitude: The Mega Strategy for Happiness and Wellbeing | Gratitude quotes,  Grateful quotes, Inspirational quotes

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago there was a study done with veterans -they had them think of things they were grateful for everyday and 90% improved re their depression.

And I think that is because we can't think of things that are depressing the same time we are being grateful for other things. It does lift me up I know.I try to remember that.

I'm basically a positive optimistic person but life has just come non stop sometimes and not in good ways. It is sometimes hard to keep that positive grateful feeling. But good to try and remember every day,

esp at very bad times. And to look up to whoever we reach out to.

But humor is good too.

Sometimes my sister or kids and I would say to each other while dealing with depressing things-"Don't  even try to say anything positive or cheery blah blah and that would make us laugh and feel better.

Sometimes you just need to vent and have someone listen and empathize.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The worse thing about this special time in my life (87) is the fact that now most of my close friends and relatives (including my husband ) have now passed away and there are few left to talk about the  the events of the past  we remember and have always shared.   Also, at this age, some of us have children who are of an age where they start having health problems too and that is also a concern.  Otherwise, I try to take each day as it comes and and thank G... for all the blessings I still have  while looking for  opportunites to serve others which by the way,  helps me more than it does them.  

Honored Contributor

A month or so ago, I typed into my computer...." what age  is considered "old"?  The answer was 73 for men and 75 for women. It was good to find out I'm not quite there yet! 

I don't dream much now, I just "ponder".  There are many things I cannot do and it's been that way for many years due to several health issues.  I really feel, at 71, I have already lived longer than a lot of people.  In that way I feel blessed.  We all need a purpose in life and it doesn't have to be big. If we don't have at least one we should look for something to give purpose. Purpose gets you enthusiastic about something and if you lose enthusiasm about life,  you can quickly get into a funk. Find things to laugh at. "Laughter doith good like a medicine".  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant,

I think that is so true-having a purpose and I also think feeling needed really helps too.

I've said this before but I have a friend who is elderly and she says if she can make one person feel better or good each day than that is a good day. I love that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I'm a woman, and some days I feel old and tired. I've carried quite a load for years -- long story -- and now the craziness of our social, economic, and political worlds has me feeling a bit of PTSD. I try to remain in the present, not dwell on the past or future, and do at least one thing each day that in some way pleases me and is good for me (whether physically, spiritually, emotionally). I say a little grattitude each night before going to bed "Thank you Lord for the blessings of today, and for those that are yet to come my way."

I arise the next day and start all over again.

Some days are better than others but I keep chugging! It's tough to tune out the noise and not engage in "stinkin thinkin" so I have to be vigilant. Sometimes making someone smile -- at least, you think they are smiling behind their mask -- is enough to clear the clouds.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@jubilant,

I think that is so true-having a purpose and I also think feeling needed really helps too.

I've said this before but I have a friend who is elderly and she says if she can make one person feel better or good each day than that is a good day. I love that.

@on the bay   I love what your friend says. She is wise. 

I agree with you so much about feeling needed.  I think having purpose and feeling needed go hand in hand. They are such basic needs of all of us.

Honored Contributor

I count my blessings and give thanks to God. Been bad yr. for me, but, I think how much worse it could be. Look around at people living under bridges, no health care, no dental care, no money, no transportation, traveling to new countries. Kids in tow, horrors everyday.

It could always be a lot worse is my motto.