Honored Contributor

Re: I’m an old woman and tired…

@SharkE   I can relate to your post.  

Twice a week I travel through Los Angeles and go under a bridge connected to the city.  All along this bridge is a tent city of homeless. This has been there for years.  My heart skips a beat each time I drive under the bridge.  Why aren't we providing our citizens with the care and affordable shelter they so desperately need.  The homeless community is increasing in the suburbs of Los Angeles.  Yes, it can always be a lot worse.  Yes, I am grateful for my life every day even with the challenges we face.

@SharkE wrote:

I count my blessings and give thanks to God. Been bad yr. for me, but, I think how much worse it could be. Look around at people living under bridges, no health care, no dental care, no money, no transportation, traveling to new countries. Kids in tow, horrors everyday.

It could always be a lot worse is my motto.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LonestarBabs   Yes. I think many of us can relate to your observations and efforts.  The best we can do is practice gratitude, what we do have. and hopefully bring some light to another's life, even if a small gesture on a daily basis.  Stay strong, we can support one another during this chaotic time.

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I'm a woman, and some days I feel old and tired. I've carried quite a load for years -- long story -- and now the craziness of our social, economic, and political worlds has me feeling a bit of PTSD. I try to remain in the present, not dwell on the past or future, and do at least one thing each day that in some way pleases me and is good for me (whether physically, spiritually, emotionally). I say a little grattitude each night before going to bed "Thank you Lord for the blessings of today, and for those that are yet to come my way."

I arise the next day and start all over again.

Some days are better than others but I keep chugging! It's tough to tune out the noise and not engage in "stinkin thinkin" so I have to be vigilant. Sometimes making someone smile -- at least, you think they are smiling behind their mask -- is enough to clear the clouds.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT and @sceniccoast , THANk YOU BOTH.

Honored Contributor

@HiLo - I hear you loud and clear. After the virus, I've decided that there has to be some reason why DH and I were spared, so I'm willing to stick around and see if I can figure out what that reason is. Leaving it to G. To figure out just WHAT THAT IS!

GLAD that you're doing the same.

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd  I have discussed this a few times with my aunt that continues to reside in L.A.; she moved there before I was born...so it's been a long time and she actually said to me "well, what if the homeless want to live in a tent on the sidewalk or under a bridge, is it really right to force them to a shelter or some other facility; what if they refuse? 

^ This is what many Angelenos are all about....the ones like my aunt who have been there all of their life and that should answer anyone's question why this was allowed to go on and on for so many years.  

Valued Contributor

I too, feel old and tired . Can't walk as good as before , really slow and everything hurts when I move . At 75 l am well aware that I could go anytime .  It scares me because I have so much stuff packed in my basement !  My DH calls it the warehouse ! I need to go through it all , donate,, give away , sell whatever . I just can't motivate myself to even start . I worry about who will have to take care of it all if I died ! 

Esteemed Contributor

I tell everyone I am 12.  And yes, I am a senior, an active one.  Dance 4 times a week somewhere... square and round dancing of course.  I thrive on PEOPLE.  

Every morning I get up I say "TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE AND I AM GOING TO  MAKE IT COUNT."

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@phoenixbrd  I have discussed this a few times with my aunt that continues to reside in L.A.; she moved there before I was born...so it's been a long time and she actually said to me "well, what if the homeless want to live in a tent on the sidewalk or under a bridge, is it really right to force them to a shelter or some other facility; what if they refuse? 

^ This is what many Angelenos are all about....the ones like my aunt who have been there all of their life and that should answer anyone's question why this was allowed to go on and on for so many years.  

I may be wrong, @agb80, but I think that two posters who brought this up did so with compassion that helps them keep grounded, not as an opening to a controversial issue.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3   Thank you for bringing a little light into my day.  

Honored Contributor

Being a senior, retired, and living alone has it's challenges. I am no longer able to do the things I used to do around the house. I have found a handyman and he has done some repairs and tasks which has helped a lot.