Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Getting Really Annoyed

@queendiva wrote:

Not sure why people have a landline AND a cell phone. Do you need it for a home security system?

I "ported" my long-standing landline number to my cell phone at least 12 years ago and have not looked back. Very few problems with "junk" calls and I am sure I have saved thousands of dollars.

I am in hurricane country and our power goes off so often, sometimes for better than a week. When all my neighbors cable and their cell phones are down I still have my landline and plug-in phone that requires no electricity.  

I never have to keep track  where my phone is because I have three spread around the house. In the 23 years I have been here my landline has never been down but the cell phones have been down a number of times.  I have a small business and I can always forward my landline calls to my cell phone.

Esteemed Contributor

I will keep my landline because the reception is much clearer.  When friends are on a cell phone there is a slight delay and we seem to be taking over each other.  I don't answer calls on my landline or cell phone from numbers I don't recognize but junk calls on my landline always seem to disconnect after three rings.  Junk calls on my cell continue to ring.  Very few people have my cell phone number.  I also like having a landline phone in different rooms instead of carrying my cell phone everywhere.  Plus I have to remember to charge it.

Honored Contributor

I had an odd phone day yesterday and it repeated today.  I'm working from home these days.  My work phone comes through my laptop.  I had my laptop in front of me.  My cell phone was to my left.  The landline to my right.  My computer rang.  I didn't know the area code, but answered.  Nobody was there.  Seconds later my cell rang.  I didn't answer, but it was the same number.  Seconds later the land line rang.  Didn't answer, same number.  Today the same thing happened.  Creeped me out a little.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I got at least a dozen calls with a recording saying my Apple account had been compromised.  I don't even have an Apple account.  I let half of them roll to voice mail.  

Super Contributor

If the phone keeps ringing & they don't leave a message, it's usually a sales call or a political request for money.  It got so bad, we had our landline cancelled. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 ...Me thinks you are getting upset for no reason.  I am sure the hang ups are folks you don't know.  It's election time and they are out there hounding  us with e-mails and phone calls.  If you are getting hang ups with no messages don't give it a second thought.  You are upsetting yourself and it isn't worth it.  I'm sure anyone you know will leave a message.  Stay cool, stay calm, take a deep breath and let it go.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

On a couple occasions someone was giving out my number either accidentally or as a fake number. One week, I got a bunch of calls and voicemails all at once. Someone's shift manager needed to talk to me urgently, an Army recruiter told me when my appointment was, the person's mom left me a stressed out message letting me know the shift manager had called her, and I got some fairly flirty text messages from someone who said she met me at a bar. (I called the mom and the shift manager back because I didn't want the guy to lose his job.)

Then the calls stopped almost as abruptly as they started. I think maybe the young man had gotten a new number and wrote it down wrong or memorized it wrong? I was entertained.

So @Jordan2 maybe someone has your number by mistake and is expecting you to recognize their number and call back. Not much to do about it. I hope it stops for you soon.

@Porcelain  -  That was very kind of you to call the shift manager and mom back so the guy wouldn't lose his job.  Shows that you care for others - even strangers.  Very nice. 

Trusted Contributor

I get robo calls, also.  They are so annoying.  I even get them and they leave a nessage in Chinese.  I do not speak that language and know no one who does speak it.

i have tried to block numbers, to no avail.   

Esteemed Contributor

Got rid of our landline...it was just robo calls and scammers.

Everyone else just called us on our cell phones anyway...

Honored Contributor

One word:  pollsters!!!!