Honored Contributor

For about the last week or so, my phone has been ringing often (landline), I have Caller ID and don't pick up unless I recognize the number. I have been getting so many calls, some get blocked after the first ring, the majority get through, however they never leave a message. If this is someone who knows me and wants to speak to me why not leave a message so I can call them back, or pick up?

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Getting Really Annoyed

It is annoying that the phone rings, but unless it is a number I recognize or they leave a message, it is simply ignored. I've done all I can do about the problem.

Honored Contributor

The calls are probably political in nature. 'Tis the season, after all.

Honored Contributor

I don't really think they're political.  Political calls are usually recorded messages.  As soon as your voice mail picks up they start talking so you would have at least part of a message.

I've quit answering my home phone, too.  No one I know ever calls me on that number.  I do check my messages, and I block any number that hasn't left a message.  I used to get 10-20 calls a day from "Anonymous."  I figured out that Comcast will let you block anyone whose number says "Anonymous," so I don't get those at all anymore.  I also have Nomorobo, but I have never felt like it did any good at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

If they are hanging up when the answering message comes on its a probably a spam call

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Not necessarily. I just blocked one offering to lower my interest rate. I've also been getting ones to renew my car warranty, something about medicare and satelite tv. So glad we got new phones that have call block on them!

Honored Contributor

I think they're political.  I've been getting more than usual; thankfully, Nomorobo cuts most of them off after one ring.  The local calls still get through and sometimes they leave a message, as my state senator did earlier today.

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why people have a landline AND a cell phone. Do you need it for a home security system?

I "ported" my long-standing landline number to my cell phone at least 12 years ago and have not looked back. Very few problems with "junk" calls and I am sure I have saved thousands of dollars.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  They are pollsters.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Not necessarily. I just blocked one offering to lower my interest rate. I've also been getting ones to renew my car warranty, something about medicare and satelite tv. So glad we got new phones that have call block on them!

@ThinkingOutLoud   I didn't say they were all political.  I was just suggesting the reason you might be getting more such calls than usual.