Contributor

I can't afford to try an item on QVC and pay to return it anymore.

I recently decided to try a pair of Ryka sneakers after years of seeing them on QVC.  I ordered a pair and spent maybe $5.00 on shipping.  They totally weren't what I expected and it cost me $7.00 to return them.  I can't afford any more $12.00 "trys" or mistakes.  I think I have to stick to local stores where I can return for free.  Any one else have the same concern?

Honored Contributor

Re: I can't afford to try an item on QVC and pay to return it anymore.

I figure when I go out shopping I spend money on gas, sometimes on parking and usually buy myself lunch. So I look at S&H as the same as I would spend anyway on those things.

Trusted Contributor

Anyone who shops at QVC is paying for Convenience whether it is built in to the higher prices or in shipping fees. My feeling is if money is a concern you would do much better if you are able to get out to the stores or in the case of shoes ordering from several shoe sites that offer free shipping both ways.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Agree OP - not only the cost but I hate hate hate having to package up returns - clean the bag of all UPS stickers - complete the return slip - seal bag for re-shipping - drive to the PO - stand in line.................I see things on Q that look interesting - but i say....No Way.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy shoes or clothing anymore for your exact reasons and most times the  clothing/shoes don't fit as I want them to---if you research on what you want, most times you can get the same things for less and free s/h and returns too. May take a little time but so worth it. I go to Ebay when I want to try out any make up or skincare before I spend that huge amount of $$ to get it and then return it. I get samples to try. I have had very good luck with quality and deal with very reputable sellers. Then I go to the mall, which is just 20 minutes away from me for the other things and then of course, I use AMZ all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Anyone who shops at QVC is paying for Convenience whether it is built in to the higher prices or in shipping fees. My feeling is if money is a concern you would do much better if you are able to get out to the stores or in the case of shoes ordering from several shoe sites that offer free shipping both ways.

Sometimes I don't mind paying more because I am getting something very unique I haven't seen anywhere else. This is what got me to start shopping at QVC in the first place - the 50/50 tour and all the unique items. 

Honored Contributor

If you can't afford it then don't do it. 

I consider it a cost of convenience.  I personally don't like shopping for myself at the mall.  It can take hours upon hours and I usually don't find anything that suits me in B&M stores anyway.  Even if I could, it takes me a 40 minute drive to get to a mall and another 40 mins. back home.  This may sound odd to some people, but I don't think it's fair to my dog for me to be gone on an all day shopping jaunt while he remains crated all day.  Since we have to drive that distance to do our shopping, I usually go on a day when DH will be home with the dog.  But along the lines of what @151949 said, if I'm going to be out that long, I usually end up getting lunch somewhere.  The gasoline I've burned, the lunch I've purchase, and the time I've wasted all end up costing me more than an original and return shipping.

Trusted Contributor

I still take a chance on clothes, just not as often as I used to due to sizing issues.

BUT NO MORE SHOES!  I have returned at least 5 pair over the years ($12 per time).  Finally it got through my head to STOP!

I love shoes, but really dislike going through the hassle in regular shoe departments.  Some stores (Kohls, DSW, etc) just have boxes on shelves.  They are often all mixed up, and rarely have my size.  Shoe departments at the department stores near me are grossly under staffed.  You can stand around, or sit in a chair for 15 minutes before someone comes to help.  Add 5-10 minutes before they come back with what is available...you get my drift.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Agree OP - not only the cost but I hate hate hate having to package up returns - clean the bag of all UPS stickers - complete the return slip - seal bag for re-shipping - drive to the PO - stand in line.................I see things on Q that look interesting - but i say....No Way.

Turn the bag wrong-side-out.  No stickers to fight with then.   If it is prepaid, people  just walk up and leave the package on the counter (where it is not being used by a postal employee) and they say "thanks" and we leave.  We don't wait in line.  It is pre-paid so you don't have to.  At Christmas they have a cart there you can throw pre-paids in. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Sometimes I don't mind paying more because I am getting something very unique I haven't seen anywhere else. This is what got me to start shopping at QVC in the first place - the 50/50 tour and all the unique items. 

My post office has a hole in the wall where we can throw prepaid packages in.