Honored Contributor

I Was Thinking......(Dangerous...I know)

I was thinking the other day that were I to win an award (any kind of award)......I'd say this first and foremost:

"I'd like to thank Mrs. Miller.  Mrs. Miller was my English teacher and our coach on the debate team.

Mrs. Miller taught us that there are many ways to say something.  A point can be made without insulting your opponent, because the minute you do that; it automatically puts them on the defensive and they don't hear a word after the insult.

She also taught us something I've tried to live by.  She made us understand that we only grow intellectually and with greater humility if we remember that just because someone disagrees with me; they aren't necessarily wrong.  In fact, some of life's greatest lessons so far have come from listening to people who disagree with me; thus showing me another side of the argument.  I call it "food for thought".

I feel like society has forgotten (or never learned that lesson); perhaps because they never were lucky enough to be on a debate team or have a teacher like Mrs. Miller.

It's too bad we aren't 'allowed' to debate pros and cons here.  I understand why....I also understand that when a person can't support their position, they turn to insults.  That's what happens here and THAT'S what spoils it for others.

Too bad Mrs. Miller isn't here teaching anymore.  Good grief!  Society has gotten to the point where the majority no longer rules.

Who/what rules are those with the biggest loudest mouths....(excuse me....I meant voices).

Honored Contributor

Re: I Was Thinking......(Dangerous...I know)

@Annabellethecat66

You had me at the title of the thread!!  LOL

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Not dangerous at all, dear @Annabellethecat66.   Wise!

Respected Contributor

Right on point!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

My wonderful Grandmother taught me that no pancake is so flat that it doesn't have two sides.

I don't think however, that she was speaking of alternate facts.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I totally agree with you my friend!! I’ve lived my life that way.I raised my son that way.I don’t get all the hostility in the world today. People don’t have to agree but they need to learn how to respectfully disagree & compromise!!

Frequent Contributor

Thank You!  Some people could be so mean.  

Honored Contributor

Well, I sometimes (when I run out of words) have been known to say things I'm not proud of.

However, I feel like at least I'm trying to do better.  Things have just gotten crazy.

No one is accountable for their actions.

Honored Contributor

Ok...   But if you won your award for baking an apple pie;  that speech might confuse people.

Honored Contributor