Contributor

Re: I Need Some Help/Recommendations

I agree, food before flowers/plants.

However, shiva may be smaller/remote by this time, and the amount of food needed for mourners right now might not be that much.  You might consider getting her a gift card to a local restaurant you know she likes so she can order in when she needs the food, and pick what she/family would like on a day when cooking seems overwhelming.

Another thought is to honor her husband by finding out if he had a favorite charity/organization for donations, or to plant a tree in Israel.  ( I always appreciate that).

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@January121  Edible Arrangements has nice fruit baskets.

@SXMGirl 

And they're delicious and unique! Many different configurations.

I've ordered many times and never a disappointment to me or those that I gifted them to.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Edible Arrangements has beautiful arrangements and the fruit is excellent.

Honored Contributor

Plants.  I associate plants in various states of distress with the time after funerals.  

I agree with send a sweet card and do something later.  Like go over and get rid of the dead plants.   Sort of kidding, and sort of not. . . 

Respected Contributor

A shiva meal, a food basket,  plant a tree in Israel, a donation to their charity 

Respected Contributor

No flowers or plants. Food is fine. Maybe a donation 

in her husband's name to a charity/cause she/he supports.

If food, baked goods are fine. Are they kosher?

Respected Contributor

Flowers are not appropriate for people of Jewish faith. However dried fruit, nuts and chocolate are. You could put together that type of food basket and have it sent along with a nice card.

Honored Contributor

There is a site called shiva (dot) com that explains the customs and has various gifts available to send.

Also, 1800flowers has shiva gifts available to order as well.

Honored Contributor

One of the nicest things people ever did for us (and I am sorry I don't know how these fit in with Jewish customs) is to bring us a cooler of ice for drinks and disposable cups; pretty paper napkins and small plates; nice but disposable forks; and an extra two rolls of kitchen-sized trash bags--all to go in the kitchen. 

Someone stayed in the kitchen for an hour, served food and cleaned up the kitchen a little, and someone took a load of dish towels and cloths home and washed them.

These people were angels to us!  The did things that took the burden off of us. 

Respected Contributor

A plant or a dish garden arrangement is nice. I still have a dish garden arrangement sent for my mothers funeral.