Esteemed Contributor

I Need Some Help/Recommendations

A friend of mine just lost her husband this week ... he was buried on Friday ... they are Jewish & I want to send something “in sympathy” to her home but, I don’t know what I should send .... that’s why I need your help & suggestions ..... is it ok to send a floral arrangement or a fruit basket (I am not crazy about sending a fruit basket because you never know how good the fruit will be) .... I appreciate any suggestions you can make ... THANKS.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Some Help/Recommendations

@January121 -

I think a plant basket would be nice.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay  .... Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

The family may sitting Shiva for seven days after the burial and may be accepting guests for those days especially the first or second day when mourners gather for prayers.  It might be nice to send something that the guests can eat during Shiva.  When my co-worker's husband died, those attending the Shiva were asked to bring a dessert to be shared among those attending the Shiva.  I brought a box of candy. 

Trusted Contributor

if they are sitting Shiva food is traditional but with the pandemic they might not be. Maybe you can find out before you decide what to send. 

Honored Contributor

Food is usually bought to a shiva house with the result that there is more food than anyone needs

Flowers are not usually part of Jewish mourning so not sure about a plant

depends on if they are inviting people into the house or not

Esteemed Contributor

@January121  Edible Arrangements has nice fruit baskets.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@January121  Edible Arrangements has nice fruit baskets.

I like this idea, you can send a small basket if it's a small or just family gathering 

Esteemed Contributor

If you reached out to her or sent a card lay low for a few weeks. Then send something. That's when they need it most when all people are gone and it really sets in. Offer to bring her a to go dinner or lunch. Better yet mask up and meet her for a meal if that's at all safely possible. 

Honored Contributor

I am horrible with this type thing.  I was sent a fruit basket once, from Harry and David, after a hospital stay years ago.  It was loaded with pears.  I don't eat pears and neither did my husband. Total waste. So, I'm not big into fruit baskets,

I will say that I was in the hospital week before last.  Some friends sent me a gift when I got home.  It was from Spoonful of Comfort.  It was a huge thing of chicken noodle soup, rolls, triple chocolate chunk cookies, a dish towel and a ladle.  I froze the soup because I didn't want it right then.  Working on the rolls and the cookies are history.  Both the rolls and cookies were really delicious so I assume the soup will be.

I am not into gift baskets so I don't hand out compliments for them easily.  I thought this one was terrific and would definitely give one from that company to someone else if I ever need to.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?