Super Contributor

Dulwich...I feel the same way but for an entirely different reason.  As the mom of a special needs child, my DH and I respectfully decline these type of events as it is too hurtful knowing our child will never experience these things.  We always send a gift and our best wishes but we've agreed this works best for our situation.  

Trusted Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

So I have my solution - think I am going to tell her I am not able to make it today - our presents are already at venue - but that DH (Grandad) and I will take her and husband to their favorite restaurant for dinner to celebrate coming baby next weekend.  

I think they will like that as they are on tight budget and do not eat out a lot.

As she has about 30 of her friends going and babies galore I do not think we will be missed that much.

@dulwich Excellent solution! Plus you'll have one-on-one time with her, even better. 👏🏼

⚓️
Valued Contributor

I hate showers -- wedding and baby.  The worst is when you know nobody other than the guest of honor and her mother.  I was shocked that they are still making those stupid hats from the bows on the gifts.  I would have thought that ended decades ago!!  LOL!!

Regular Contributor

Dulwich, I'm with you. I don't like going to weddings.

Honored Contributor

Don’t go and fake that you’re happy to be there

Crabby people should just stay home and let her celebrate with joyous people 

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty much a loner except for my small family. But I would attend any such celebration for my daughter and for my grandchildren. It's just a couple hours.

You can do it, @dulwich 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Update -  Just spoken with gdaughter and I explained truthfully how I was feeling  - could not make up excuses - and we want to celebrate with her at maybe dinner next week.  Reply ‘no problem’ said she would rather go out and eat with us anyway.  All is well.

Thank you all for your input.

Regular Contributor

It's not about being a 'crabby' person Bri369. Keep your judgements to yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Don’t go and fake that you’re happy to be there

Crabby people should just stay home and let her celebrate with joyous people 

Oh, so you think the OP is crabby, you might want to rethink that. Perhaps you are the crabby one, OP simply posted an honest statement and it sent you off the rails. Sad you have such an attitude.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I hear you. I'm surpised people are all bringing their kids to showers these days. Back in the day, it was pretty much an adult affair. i can't imagine with all the rug rats around. Chaos.