Honored Contributor

Re: I Know This Subject Has Been Brought Up Before

How wonderful for you and your grandson.....Woman LOL

I get frustrated hearing about lessons that are no longer required because the school system decides that it is out of date or no longer being used....  

The brain has the capacity to learn anything.  In other words, you never run out of room in there no matter what is taught!  To not learn something simply because it's outdated or won't be used is ludicrous.  I understand that there are only so many school hours in a day and that's where the family should come in....

The "depth of understanding" one gets regarding the world goes hand in hand with curiosity and the thirst for knowledge, all knowledge.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@IMissSuperPoke wrote:

I wish cursive was still taught in school. Everyone can use writing faster. My son learned iin third grade, but his teacher told the class they didn't have to continue it! How can they get the hang of it if they go back to what they know which was printing? I tried to convince my son to continue cursive, but often saw his school papers he went back to what he was used to. To state my case to him, I watch a lot of ID channel and each time they showed a killer's writing, it was printing! I'd point to the TV several times per week easily on that one! He's out of school now and still notices that on ID.

What?? You will also see printing used on the blueprints for buildings, boats, and machinery because it's used by architects and engineers. I have no idea why anyone would imply that printing is linked to killers. You will also note that the most important signs - stop, exit, yield, etc - are all done in basic sans serif fonts because they are the easiest to read. When accuracy and speed of information is important, cursive is not the lettering of choice.

Cursive is a great thing to learn, but implying that printed lettering is for killers is not cool.

Respected Contributor

A great blessing in both of your lives. How wonderful for you to have each other.

Esteemed Contributor

@hovis  What a special young man. I remember that age in my children and it was awesome. Their little wings are beginning to open. Heart

Have a Beautiful And Blessed Day

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

my printing would drive teachers back to cursive. I have pretty handwriting, just can't print. But in the same breath, if you saw my husband's handwriting, it would drive you to drink. He must sign like a lot of doctors do. They really have horrible handwriting. Of course now, I think they do it all on a mini computer. Can't think of what those are called. You know what I mean.

Respected Contributor

Props to you, @hovis, for filling in where the schools have failed your wonderful grandson. Many years ago, I left one school where they taught cursive in third grade at the end of my second grade year and moved across country, only to find that the new school had taught cursive in the second grade. So I had to teach  myself.

My mother bought me one of those specially lined pads with the broken rules. I still remember the cover. It was glossy white with dark blue lettering and had the entire alphabet, upper and lower case, in the rules. I learned by copying those letters.

The hardest thing for me was getting the hang of joining the letters at the bottom and getting the flow of cursive going, which is essential to handwriting speed. I'm mentioning all this because I remember it very well, and if your grandson stalls out at these points, just have him practice. He's training his mind, his eyes, and his hands to coordinate in one complex task, which isn't easy. Practice is essential. 

Good luck with the project, and don't let him weasel out of learning this great skill!

Honored Contributor

@hovis

So happy for you both.

There is a certain inventiveness to cursive writing that, IMO, broadens the brain!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Just out of curiosity...... what will the kids, who are not taught

" cursive", do in the future when they have to fill out legal forms & are asked to sign their name on one line & print it underneath .... will everything be changed to just printing their name?

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

Just out of curiosity...... what will the kids, who are not taught

" cursive", do in the future when they have to fill out legal forms & are asked to sign their name on one line & print it underneath .... will everything be changed to just printing their name?

@January121 This is a big misconception I work in the legal field and your "signature" doesn't have to be in cursive. Your signatue can be a "x" or just one letter if you want. My son is in 2nd grade and he is learning cursive this semester, but he goes to Catholic school. I don't think the public schools in my area are teaching cursive.

Honored Contributor

Too bad some/many children won't be able to read their relatives/ansestors' letters and cards.  Actually, it might be profitable ( in the future), to be able to read cursive.  As an interpreter, so-to- speak.  'Cursive Interpreter' profession.  There could be a demand for them.  Just a thought.  Of course, I'm always thinking about possible distant future professions, as 'far out' as they sound/seem.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).