Honored Contributor

Re: I Know This Subject Has Been Brought Up Before

[ Edited ]

Wait!  I just thought of something....(again, lol):  We'd better start printing (not in cursive) our cards to youngsters from now on.  So that one day when they are older, they will be able to read their relatives' cards and letters.  That is, if their parents even save them.  Oh, well.........It's a different world. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I don't have grandchildren, but your story about your 11 yo grandson just made me smile.

Wasn't just the handwriting request, but your teaching him the piano, and leaving dishes and wash for him to start because he loves all thing mechanical.

I love your relationship!  So sweet.

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

Just out of curiosity...... what will the kids, who are not taught

" cursive", do in the future when they have to fill out legal forms & are asked to sign their name on one line & print it underneath .... will everything be changed to just printing their name?

I believe in-person document signing will become a thing of the past.  We recently sold/purchased homes and even though our realtors' ( 2 of them) office was just a mile away, we could sign documents via phone/computer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@January121 wrote:

Just out of curiosity...... what will the kids, who are not taught

" cursive", do in the future when they have to fill out legal forms & are asked to sign their name on one line & print it underneath .... will everything be changed to just printing their name?

@January121 This is a big misconception I work in the legal field and your "signature" doesn't have to be in cursive. Your signatue can be a "x" or just one letter if you want. My son is in 2nd grade and he is learning cursive this semester, but he goes to Catholic school. I don't think the public schools in my area are teaching cursive.

@DJs mom .... THANKS for the info!!!!😄

Esteemed Contributor

I was thrilled when Lindsay was learning cursive, but alas, over the years not using it in school any more she has forgotten most of it. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Good for you, I agree, teach him cursive! I taught my youngest granddaughter the other year because she never had it in school. My middle granddaughter had it briefly in grade school but never used it again, so I taught her how to write her name in cursive b.c shes ready to drive so why do they stop this when they still have to sign licenses and documents!? Its ridiculous! My oldest granddaughter knows cursive and I might add she graduated at the top of her class because she used cursive to write everything through out school to memorize (even though they had netbooks). So stopping cursive in schools is wrong IMO as we are still having to sign our names arent we?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@hovis wrote:

but I wanted to tell you this. Every Thurs. my grandson comes over after school. He gets out at 1:30. My daughter drops him off and we get to spend the rest of the afternoon together. He loves anything that is mechanical. I always have towels in the washer. Dishes in the dishwasher. And goes ahead and starts them. I forgot to mention he is 11yrs. old. I am also teaching him to play the piano.. Yesterday to my surprise he asked me if I would teach him to write in cursive. I was thrilled. He is in sixth grade and they do not have cursive in his school. My other grandson who is also the same age goes to a different school and they teach cursive there. Well anyway we are going to start learning cursive. I am so glad he wants to do it. Thanks.

Teach him cursive.  It's trying to make a comeback.  Studies cite how this handwriting engages the brain and helps them compose thoughts better.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

How are these children, when they grow up, expected to know how to sign their name if they've never been taught cursive?? Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My VERY BRIGHT, VERY CAPABLE, VERY TECH SAVVY DIL is fully capable of doing anything she needs to do with a computer, and PREFERS to do some of her academic work by writing it out in long hand.

She has determined for herself that writing in cursive helps her to grasp concepts more effectively than by using typing/word processing.

She perfectly represents the need for multiple ways of inputting/outputting information.

I believe that education always swings one way before swinging back the other way, then finally striking a balance. 

Even if "hand" writing is completely abandoned (temporarily), I think we'll see a comeback sooner r later.

The field of education is like that..........

Honored Contributor

In the span of childhood, so many people are in love with the baby stage or the toddler stage, but at about ages 8 to 11 or 12, there are just so many special things about kids that I think many over look.

They are still innocent enough and interested enough and believing enough to listen and enjoy the adults in their lives. They are getting old enough to understand and do so many new things, still haven't developed the insecurities that often come in those teen years, and actually enjoy being with their parents and grandparents. 

To me, it is one of the best times of childhood. I'm so glad you get to spend regular time with him, and he is at an age that he will remember those times for the rest of his life. It will impact his life in ways that you will not live to see, probably including the way he is with his own grandchildren someday.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how fleeting childhood is, so enjoy every minute of it!