Trusted Contributor

@Danish10 

I had a gift card once & that's exactly what happened. By the time I went to use it there was less than $80 on it. I filed a complaint with the company but never got my $. This was several years ago & I think some states have made it illegal to do this now. 

It sounds to me like Amazon only took $78 because that's all that's left. Check your balance using the phone # on the card or the website.

Honored Contributor

If I need to contact Amazon, I search for 'contact amazon customer service" and click on contact.  Calling is one option.  They'll call you though.  I've never had to wait more than a minute for them to call me.  I always have good luck through email too.  

Honored Contributor

I checked the balance on my gift card, there is $100 left on the card, no fees have been applied. The cost of the item is $119 plus tax. I would pay for the difference about $25-$30 on my Amazon credit card. I don't understand why the full amount wasn't applied to my purchase, the funds are on the card. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I got a MasterCard gift card from Spectrum. I have used it online twice, no problem. I have $100 dollars left on the card, I kept track and also checked my balance online. I went to pay for something on Amazon, it didn't take the balance of $100, it only took $78 ( the item was more than $78). I don't understand why the balance of the gift card wasn't applied, just a portion. Anyone know why that would happen ( I might call Amazon tomorrow but I don't think anyone is available to take calls)?

You can "chat" with someone from Amazon.  I received an empty package and after explaining my problem, they sent another one out promptly.  I'm not a prime member either.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  ...... If you still have a $100.00 left on your gift card you might want to check and see if the order went through. Another thing you might want to check is your Amazon credit card. If you did not have enough on the gift card to cover the item Amazon might have gone to your "default" card.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I checked the balance on my gift card, there is $100 left on the card, no fees have been applied. The cost of the item is $119 plus tax. I would pay for the difference about $25-$30 on my Amazon credit card. I don't understand why the full amount wasn't applied to my purchase, the funds are on the card. 

I'm a bit confused. Did you complete the purchase as described in your first post?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   Call the number on the back of the card or call spectrum for information on the card.

Trusted Contributor

@noodleann  ....... I am as confused as you are. I cannot imagine Amazon letting the order go through without being able to pay the full price. 

I am also confused why posters are advising the OP to call the Master Card gift card. If they did not have enough on the gift card for the order the card would have been declined by Amazon. 

I am also confused why someone would order knowing they did not have enough money on the gift card. How was Amazon to know they wanted to charge to two (2) cards.

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@noodleann  ....... I am as confused as you are. I cannot imagine Amazon letting the order go through without being able to pay the full price. 

I am also confused why posters are advising the OP to call the Master Card gift card. If they did not have enough on the gift card for the order the card would have been declined by Amazon. 

I am also confused why someone would order knowing they did not have enough money on the gift card. How was Amazon to know they wanted to charge to two (2) cards.

LOL, when it comes to getting paid, Amazon is genius. It will pull out all you have on an Amazon gift card, for example, and then put the balance on your default method of payment. Because the OP has an Amazon credit card, Amazon presumably would have put the extra $19 (of the $119 purchase) plus tax on the Amazon credit card after the purported $100 MasterCard was used up.

However, the OP says that Amazon was going to pull only $78 (?) of the purchase from the MC, which doesn't make sense if the card really has a full $100 balance. But Amazon may be able to identify the card and know that there are additional fees that account for the $22 it's not charging, or the card may be holding back fees and only allowing $78 to be deducted by Amazon. Those pay-for VISA and MCs are riddled with hidden fees. Possibly Amazon was taking extra fees for using the card as well. I have no idea, but I hope the OP finds out and tells us.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg   She is being advised to call the MC gift card because she said she checked her balance and it was $100.

If Amazon didn't collect the full $100, either the card really only has $78 left regardless of her checking or some fees recently were deducted.

We don't know when she checked the balance-at the time of ordering?

A week ago? A month ago?

Also if only $78 remained she has to tell Amazon to put the balance on her Amazon card.  I don't believe it just defaults.  Anybody with a card has to give consent, be it MC, Visa, etc.

Overall she needs to do a little digging on her own at this point.

Her post is so confusing and really nobody can tell her anything about the $78 other than to call MC and/or call Amazon.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh