Honored Contributor

I got a MasterCard gift card from Spectrum. I have used it online twice, no problem. I have $100 dollars left on the card, I kept track and also checked my balance online. I went to pay for something on Amazon, it didn't take the balance of $100, it only took $78 ( the item was more than $78). I don't understand why the balance of the gift card wasn't applied, just a portion. Anyone know why that would happen ( I might call Amazon tomorrow but I don't think anyone is available to take calls)?

Super Contributor

If are able to reach someone at Amazon by phone... I sure would like to know the telephone number.... I like Amazon....but whenever I have had a problem ...I had to contact them  by email.....thanks...

Esteemed Contributor

@TVLand wrote:

If are able to reach someone at Amazon by phone... I sure would like to know the telephone number.... I like Amazon....but whenever I have had a problem ...I had to contact them  by email.....thanks...

@TVLand   Amazon C.S. Is 1-888-280-4331. I've called a couple of times & got excellent service.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  ...... I am a little confused. Are you saying the item was more than what Amazon charged your Master Card?

Occasional Contributor

There are some cards that begin to subtract a monthly fee after a certain amount of time.  Is there a phone number on the card that you can call?

Honored Contributor

Re: I Have A Question

[ Edited ]

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Jordan2  ...... I am a little confused. Are you saying the item was more than what Amazon charged your Master Card?

@Sheila P-Burg @Jordan2 

I was just going to ask the same thing.

What is the full amount of the purchase??  I would assume she means the purchase was over $100 so she expected the full $100 to be applied.  Even so, she would have to pay any amt. over the $100 with another card.

Sound like an issue with who issued the card, not Amazon, since she said she checked her balance online and had $100.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg @Jordan2 

I was just going to ask the same thing.

What is the full amount of the purchase??  I would assume she means the purchase was over $100 so she expected the full $100 to be applied.  Even so, she would have to pay any amt. over the $100 with another card.

Sound like an issue with who issued the card, not Amazon, since she said she checked her balance online and had $100.

I agree.  It doesn't sound like an Amazon issue.  They probably took whatever was available on the card.  I would call the card issuer about this.

Esteemed Contributor

If you had $100 balance on your gift card, Amazon will only take what the item costs from your balance. Check your balance  on your gift card and you will see a remaining balance still available.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

If you had $100 balance on your gift card, Amazon will only take what the item costs from your balance. Check your balance  on your gift card and you will see a remaining balance still available.

She said they didn't take what the item costs.  They only took $78, but her purchase amount was more.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   When you get a free gift card from a business you need to use it right away because it decreases in value quickly.   That way the business can look good by giving it but in many cases they pay less because so many keep them for use later.  I had that happen to me when I kept one for when I had the money to get an expensive item and found out my hundred. gift card only had ten dollars.  Now I use any I get right away.