Respected Contributor

Re: I Have A Mouse In My House

@NickNack wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

I live out in the country and used to have trouble with mice but no more. I now have lots of cats that keep the mice away. If you hire an exterminator make sure it's one that goes the extra mile---looking for places of entry and sealing up any holes, etc.  When I called an ext. years ago,  all he did was place a few traps around my home and that was it.  I mean,  I can do that!

@KKJ   @Jordan2   Yes, finding and sealing the entry is the most important part.  I would never ever have found the teeny tiny entry hole.  He found a lot of drippings inside my bathroom cabinet, and the hole was in there.  I don't think anyone I know could have found the hole either.  After sealing the hole and putting the poison down, I never saw another mouse.  This was several years ago.  

How did you find a good exterminator that did all that?  Guess I should've shopped around for a good one.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

I live out in the country and used to have trouble with mice but no more. I now have lots of cats that keep the mice away. If you hire an exterminator make sure it's one that goes the extra mile---looking for places of entry and sealing up any holes, etc.  When I called an ext. years ago,  all he did was place a few traps around my home and that was it.  I mean,  I can do that!

@KKJ   @Jordan2   Yes, finding and sealing the entry is the most important part.  I would never ever have found the teeny tiny entry hole.  He found a lot of drippings inside my bathroom cabinet, and the hole was in there.  I don't think anyone I know could have found the hole either.  After sealing the hole and putting the poison down, I never saw another mouse.  This was several years ago.  

How did you find a good exterminator that did all that?  Guess I should've shopped around for a good one.

@KKJ   I used to sell real estate many years ago, and this company had the reputation of being the best pest control company.  They are locally owned.  I've used them over the years when I couldn't get rid of ants or some small thing like that.  When I couldn't get rid of the mouse with traps I called them.

I didn't know to ask if they would seal the entry holes.  He just did that.  He looked around for the entry before doing anything else if I'm recalling correctly.  I would advise anyone who needs an exterminator for mice to find out if they look for and seal the entry point when calling.  I did tell them that my traps weren't working and asked if they used poison.  Their poison is a block and sealed in a small plastic box.  They put it in the back of my cabinets and in the air return vent. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I mix the bait blocks with the cocoa power and place the mixture on a plate or on the floor. I smash the bait blocks and stir in the cocoa power and the mice smell the chocolate and therefore they eat the mixture. No more mice!
Honored Contributor

Death by chocolate ----literally!.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Got one! Put a couple live catch and contain traps down. The Bernese Mtn. pup alerted to one so I got my husband from the garage and we drove a ways before releasing it.

Trusted Contributor

mice are kinda cute... but not when they're in your hoise!! in the pet store is a different thing! no matter how spotless, and clean your house is......... seeing a mouse makes you feel so dirty.. my mom use to have one of those release traps... i dont feel bad about killing them.. they dont belong in my clean house. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

The poster above does have a good point. If you do catch and release you risk having them come back into your house. I would never take one for a ride in my car, container or not. Ewwwww.
Respected Contributor

It is that time of the year, the mice want to be warm and fed and will find a way into our homes.

Contributor

A cat will take care of the problem 

On the other hand it is better than having a snake in your house. 

Super Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Organic mousetraps, otherwise known as cats, work very well. They will even present you with their little trophies!

Had to laugh.  I have two cats.  One jumped and ran way when I had an inside mouse and the other was intrigued about the new toy but never touched it.  Of course they are rescues and never had a mom showing them the ropes.  A trap and a piece of cheese did the trick.  Kitties miss the new entertainment.