Honored Contributor
@chlema. Are you sure it wasn't your drug plan that covered it?
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

OK, got that straightened out. Called again today and it's 156.65 for each vial. Why it would cost me 313 some odd cents for both shots of

Shinglix.

Medicaid recipients I don't know if they get free or not. Probably so, but, I would have to pay for.

That's a hefty price for sure, but probably worth it if there's any way you can save up for and swing it. Anyone who's had chicken pox has the shingles virus just hanging out in their body, waiting to cause misery Woman Mad

At the end of last year my husband got attacked by a feral cat and needed the rabies vaccine. No real choice about that, and he has decent insurance, but it was around $3,500 out of pocket. At least the hospital system put us on a payment plan. It absolutely stinks how expensive treatments/prophylactics can be, but sometimes we just need to bite the bullet.

Honored Contributor

Yikes! girl ! a feral cat ? what's the chances of that happening !

that poor man. If he knew who owned the cat I'd be getting a lawyer.

husband said we'd probably skip it. He's 71 on Tues. and I'm in 60's we haven't had it yet. He said we had more to worry about. LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

husband said we'd probably skip it. He's 71 on Tues. and I'm in 60's we haven't had it yet. He said we had more to worry about. LOL

@SharkE  If it's a feral cat no one owns it. It has no home.

Honored Contributor

yeah, I thought about that after I said it LOL but, I'd sue the cat.  LOL

Guess they took care of it or how would he know if the cat had rabies.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

yeah, I thought about that after I said it LOL but, I'd sue the cat.  LOL

Guess they took care of it or how would he know if the cat had rabies.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to sue the cat OR determine whether it had rabies, but it's a concern in our rural area. Once my husband had bites and deep scratches (from trying to rescue the cat who'd gotten trapped in our neighbor's shed), we couldn't take the chance.

Regular Contributor

Trust me you do not want to get shingles.  It can last for months and can also return.  It is agony.  Get the vaccine.

Regular Contributor

Too bad about your insurance.  Hubby and  I are on Medicare and the Shingix vaccine was totally paid.  Must be just your particular type of Medicare.  Some of those plans sound good but don:t cover some stuff because they are for profit. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE, the older you are, the more likely you are to develop shingles and to have complications that can be very painful and long-lasting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I got my flu shot last week--usual swelling and sore arm for a day or two. My sister says there is one study that says flu shots are a bit correllated with not developing Alzheimers, but I haven't heard that anywhere else.  Anyway, the flu almost killed me once (prob. it was swine flu--I was in my 20s), so I always get the shot.

My first shingles shot I had to pay for it myself (insurance guru at my dr's just made a mistake about my workplace insurance). Really, the peace of mind was worth it.  I grew up in a very large family, and all of us had chickenpox; I had a friend who repeatedly got shingles and he went through months of pain with each attack.